Adelaide bound

Bubble

Hi everyone

I'm a bit of a novice at this sort of thing! Visa granted yesterday so hoping to move to Adelaide in the new year from Liverpool. Just saying hi and wondering if anyone would be able to help me with all my questions! I'm excited but a bit scared as we have a toddler too so don't want to make any wrong decisions!

:huh:

Fire away with the questions! You might also like to ask them on the sister site http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum

The best advice regarding area would probably be to reserve decision making till you get here and get sorted with jobs etc. Rent somewhere short term, hire a car, and check the place out. One man's meat and all that. Although Adelaide has the reputation of being "the 20 minute city", in reality if you are living on one side and working the other (north/south, east/west and all variations thereof) it can be a real pain getting around.

We are in the North East, which is a lovely area, alongside the Torrens Linear Park. Great schools, great shops, good roads and good public transport links (we have the absolutely awesome O-Bahn!) - takes about 30 minutes to the beach, 20-30 minutes into the city (depending on time of day and whether driving or bussing/OBahning), and 30-40 minutes to the wonderful Barossa Valley. Generally the East is lovely and leafy, but a little more pricey, the West is beachside so has nice pockets, but also the airport so some aresas can be a bit noisy from that, plus it's flat (I prefer the scenery of the hills), the north is fairly industry-heavy - so good for jobs but perhaps you'd want to look NE or NW for living; the South East has some lovely hills places, but a little cooler there in the winter which isn't everyone's thing; and the South West has some cheaper properties and areas because of distance and time into the city, but is popular with some because of the beaches.

Fire away with the questions! You might also like to ask them on the sister site www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum

The best advice regarding area would probably be to reserve decision making till you get here and get sorted with jobs etc. Rent somewhere short term, hire a car, and check the place out. One man's meat and all that. Although Adelaide has the reputation of being "the 20 minute city", in reality if you are living on one side and working the other (north/south, east/west and all variations thereof) it can be a real pain getting around.

We are in the North East, which is a lovely area, alongside the Torrens Linear Park. Great schools, great shops, good roads and good public transport links (we have the absolutely awesome O-Bahn!) - takes about 30 minutes to the beach, 20-30 minutes into the city (depending on time of day and whether driving or bussing/OBahning), and 30-40 minutes to the wonderful Barossa Valley. Generally the East is lovely and leafy, but a little more pricey, the West is beachside so has nice pockets, but also the airport so some aresas can be a bit noisy from that, plus it's flat (I prefer the scenery of the hills), the north is fairly industry-heavy - so good for jobs but perhaps you'd want to look NE or NW for living; the South East has some lovely hills places, but a little cooler there in the winter which isn't everyone's thing; and the South West has some cheaper properties and areas because of distance and time into the city, but is popular with some because of the beaches.

Thanks for the useful information - we are both teachers and finding that it is impossible to get a job before we arrive which is understandable but pretty scary! I'm hoping we can get work just doing anything so that we don't end up on the streets! Are there many furnished properties to rent in the north east? My husband is the brains behind the move and I just feel a bit nervous with our little girl only being 3. What are child are options like and are they expensive?

thanks so much for your reply!

As regards furnished properties - are you looking short term or long term? For short term, most of the holiday rentals tend to be on the west side, from Semaphore downwards, or around the city - less out in the suburbs so perhaps try and find somewhere as central as possible and use that as a base until you've explored job options a bit. If you ask on Pomsinadelaide I know there are a few teachers on there who I am sure will be able to offer some help and advice. Most longer term (6mths/1yr) rentals tend to be unfurnished, although there are occasionally furnished ones that come up (www.domain.com.au I think has an option to put a key word in your search to search for 'furnished') - but quite difficult to secure one before you arrive as the agents like you to view in person (and to view you in person!). Again, perhaps best not to tie yourself to an area before you've checked out jobs. This is a good site for short term furnished rentals http://www.adelaideaustraliaaccommodation.com.au/

As far as childcare goes, there are several options, from something like a childminder who looks after kids in their home, to private nurseries, to state-run nurseries and kindies. Some schools have kindies attached (I know our local primary school here in Highbury does). Depending on the visa you are on and the benefits you are entitled to, these can often be heavily subsidised, but I'm afraid that's as far as my knowledge goes (mine are 16 and 19 now so I'm out of touch with that sort of stuff).

Thanks so much for the info Diane! Wish I'd found this site ages ago! It's so nice of people to help :o)

live joined the adelaide site too - top tip!

thanks for the short term rental site - I will check it out - I'm hoping it's not all really expensive as we still won't have jobs!

Thanks again x

I currently live in Adelaide, so I'd be glad to answer any questions I can!

Hi there!

Thanks for replying! I don't suppose you have a young child and know about child care costs? Is there much casual work around at the moment? We are teachers but I'm worried about no supply work being available and so may need to try something else in the meantime! Thanks again!

As regards furnished properties - are you looking short term or long term? For short term, most of the holiday rentals tend to be on the west side, from Semaphore downwards, or around the city - less out in the suburbs so perhaps try and find somewhere as central as possible and use that as a base until you've explored job options a bit. If you ask on Pomsinadelaide I know there are a few teachers on there who I am sure will be able to offer some help and advice. Most longer term (6mths/1yr) rentals tend to be unfurnished, although there are occasionally furnished ones that come up (www.domain.com.au I think has an option to put a key word in your search to search for 'furnished') - but quite difficult to secure one before you arrive as the agents like you to view in person (and to view you in person!). Again, perhaps best not to tie yourself to an area before you've checked out jobs. This is a good site for short term furnished rentals http://www.adelaideaustraliaaccommodation.com.au/

As far as childcare goes, there are several options, from something like a childminder who looks after kids in their home, to private nurseries, to state-run nurseries and kindies. Some schools have kindies attached (I know our local primary school here in Highbury does). Depending on the visa you are on and the benefits you are entitled to, these can often be heavily subsidised, but I'm afraid that's as far as my knowledge goes (mine are 16 and 19 now so I'm out of touch with that sort of stuff).

Thanks so much for the info Diane! Wish I'd found this site ages ago! It's so nice of people to help :o)

thanks for the short term rental site - I will check it out - I'm hoping it's not all really expensive as we still won't have jobs!

Thanks again x

Thanks again x

Hi

Feel free to PM me, I am a teacher, arrived in Adelaide 4 months ago and have a toddler. Ask away.

x

Yes and no! Adelaide has pros and cons like any city i guess. Adelaide is more of a big country town than a city really but there is plenty to do here. You've got the beaches and the hills, Which are stunning. I always feel like im in australia when im up there. :-)

The only thing about Adelaide is i would say the crime rate is quite high for such a small space and quite often you can feel quite isolated.

But on the plus side its not as expensive as the other citys in Oz.

I've been Adelaide since February. x

The only thing about Adelaide is i would say the crime rate is quite high for such a small space and quite often you can feel quite isolated.

Wow - I would have said the opposite, we have been amazed how little crime we have seen (apart from the hoon driving). I guess it must depend where you choose to live around the city.

NWM

I moved to Adelaide 3 weeks ago, and I have found that I have settled really fast. Before arriving I sorted out a studio flat rental in the CBD for the first week, and then hospital staff accommodation for after that through work... managed to time it so that I never moved into the staff accommodation building!

I managed to find my fully furnished rental within 4 days of arriving and secured it that day by offering to sign a 12 month lease, rather than the 6 months they asked for. There aren't huge numbers of furnished place available but it's definitely do-able, and I had a smallish budget of $300 per week and got a 2 bed unit for that right on the tramline into town. Moved into my place 6 days after arriving, and its been reasonably easy to get everything sorted. My place even has all the utensils and linen, made it even easier to get settled in without having to go on a mad Ikea dash in my first week!

As everyone has said www.pomsinadelaide.com has been a great source of information, I highly recommend it.

Wow - I would have said the opposite, we have been amazed how little crime we have seen (apart from the hoon driving). I guess it must depend where you choose to live around the city.

NWM

Thanks to you both for the info! Can I ask what areas you are in? Or where is considered most family friendly? I'd heard the crime rate was quite low too so was wondering what sort of crime you had come across hallie3000? Anyways thank you both again!

I moved to Adelaide 3 weeks ago, and I have found that I have settled really fast. Before arriving I sorted out a studio flat rental in the CBD for the first week, and then hospital staff accommodation for after that through work... managed to time it so that I never moved into the staff accommodation building!

I managed to find my fully furnished rental within 4 days of arriving and secured it that day by offering to sign a 12 month lease, rather than the 6 months they asked for. There aren't huge numbers of furnished place available but it's definitely do-able, and I had a smallish budget of $300 per week and got a 2 bed unit for that right on the tramline into town. Moved into my place 6 days after arriving, and its been reasonably easy to get everything sorted. My place even has all the utensils and linen, made it even easier to get settled in without having to go on a mad Ikea dash in my first week!

As everyone has said www.pomsinadelaide.com has been a great source of information, I highly recommend it.

thanks so much for the info - that's really useful to know - I'm pleased to hear you got furnished close to transport links - what area is it? I'm currently in a quandary about whether to ship furniture or not so I'm glad furnished is still manageable on a small budget as that will defo be us! What sort of hospital work do you do? Did you get work before you left? I've joined the other site - thanks for the link x

Thanks to you both for the info! Can I ask what areas you are in? Or where is considered most family friendly? I'd heard the crime rate was quite low too so was wondering what sort of crime you had come across hallie3000? Anyways thank you both again!

We live in Marion just now but have bought a house in the Christies Beach, Noarlunga area which we move into just before Christmas. The Northern Suburbs around Elizabeth, Munno Para, Salisbury have a poorer reputation however we moved from Paisley so it would take a lot to faze us!!! Personally for families I think the southern suburbs (Hallett Cove down to Aldinga) are pretty good plus Golden grove/T tree Gully in the North East. But there are plenty of other really great places around the city. Southern suburbs have the beaches if that's important to you.

NWM

I live in Mawson Lakes so the Northern Subs. I find there is alot more crime up here than possibly the south. Mawson Lakes is a really nice area but i find that the subs around it aren't quite as nice and the crime rate quite high especially in Elizabeth and Salisbury. When i first got here i was door knocking for a short while whilst getting on my feet and the amount of times i was threatened and threatened to be shot. I now work at salisbury mental health and again the people that enter here are constantly being arrested for assault to the nurses etc. Plus i follow SA police on facebook and the amount of murders, assaults, robberies, people going missing constantly being reported is i think quite high. Aswell as watching the news, there is always a shooting or a stabbing.

I went out into the city the other night and saw two fights in the space of 10 minutes. 1 guy who was minding his own business got knocked out and fell like a sack of potatoes onto the road. There was blood everywhere.

Again once when i was door knocking in Davoren park i was told to keep my phone in my hand in my pocket at all times incase something happened. My team leader told me this who lived around the corner.

As i said this is all just my opnion and my experience of adelaide so far regarding the crime rate.

thanks so much for the info - that's really useful to know - I'm pleased to hear you got furnished close to transport links - what area is it? I'm currently in a quandary about whether to ship furniture or not so I'm glad furnished is still manageable on a small budget as that will defo be us! What sort of hospital work do you do? Did you get work before you left? I've joined the other site - thanks for the link x

I'm living in Everard Park. I work in Ophthalmology at 2 of the local tertiary hospitals, I got my job earlier in the year and they sponsored me to come out on a 457, so i was all sorted in that sense before I arrived.

Archived