489 State- or Family-sponsored?

AlexT

Hi,

I am hoping to submit an EOI for a 489 visa once my ACS assessment completes.

In terms of the points score, I can get 50 points OK, with a current requirement for minimum 60 points. However, if my EOI results in State Nomination, this should gain me the additional 10 points I need for 60.

My partner has a cousin in Melbourne who could sponsor us, which would also be worth 10 points, so I could submit with 60 points. If I then received State Nomination, I would NOT gain the additional 10 points as the family nomination precludes this.

My question is: Am I better off using the family sponsorship to gain 60 points on submission, or should I simply wait to see if I can get State Nomination? Would my application even get looked at with 50 points, considering that a favourable response would result in a total of 60?

I have asked the question of a MARA agent, but did not really get a meaningfuly reply.

Many thanks

Alex

Either your asking the wrong agent or they weren't prepared to give their advice for free!

Its your choice, but if you have an eligible family member I would say this is a more beneficial pathway:

1) The designated area list includes more places you can live than the state sponsored equivalent

2) You don't have to satisfy any additional criteria the state requires for an application

3) You don't have the additional cost of a state application (some charge)

4) You don't have the additional paperwork involved in a state application

In answer to your other question, yes the state would look at your EOI if it had 50 points and you stated you'd be interested in a 489 visa. It's better to apply directly to them anyway rather than wait for them to pick out the EOI.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

That simple response is possibly the most useful bit of advice I have had so far! Many thanks for that.

My ACS approval came through this morning, so we can start this moving now. Looking through Booklet 6 again, it now makes more sense having seen your comments. Certainly the Family-sponsored 489 seems to be the only option for me, as I am very unlikely to get a job in my area outside of Melbourne or the surrounds.

Now the question is: do I get the health assessments & IELTS done now, or wait until I get an invitation to apply? I guess I could be throwing the time & money away if no invite is forthcoming (there were no 489 invites from Victoria in August), and 60 days SHOULD be sufficient to arranging both Health & IELTS.

So I just need to gather together the documentation and submit the EOI now? And wait ...

Guest guest30085

Hi Alex

You have to have a positive skills assessment and have passed the IELTS at the level you require if you need the points (ie all 7s for 10 points or all 8s for 20 points) BEFORE you submit the EOI

Edited by guest30085

Hi Alex,

What is your nominated occupation?

Things are changing quite rapidly at the moment and there are invitation limitations beginning to be placed in this visa stream, which has occurred since your first post. You should also not submit your EOI until the IELTS is complete as it is a time of invitation criteria (I'm presuming you require points for IELTS). I would recommend keeping a close eye on any upcoming changes and completing the IELTS as soon as possible. The health assessment is a time of decision criteria so doesn't need to be completed yet.

All the best,