Can I apply for a tourist visa whilst applying for the 309/100 partner visa?

Guest ukgirl

Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK my fiancé is Australian. We are currently in New Zealand and from here we applied for the 309/100 partner visa at the beginning of October.

I'm on the understanding that I would have to be out of the country when this is granted. I just want to know if anybody has applied for a tourist visa whilst an application is going through and how it went. Did your CO contact you to let you know they were about to grant it? Are there any risks? What sort of tourist visa did you apply for?

Also we were told 12 months for the process to complete has anybody just had theirs granted? If so how long did it take?

Sorry for all the questions but we're not hearing anything so we don't really know how it's moving along and when I called them they don't really have anything to say. It's only been a couple of months I know but my fiancé has commitments that he will have to go back to soon over there. Is anybody going through this same process at the moment?

:daydreaming:

You can apply for a tourist visa to enter Aus after you have lodged a partner visa application. Which one depends on what you apply for I guess.

You have to go off shore for visa grant. Your CO will contact you via email when it's ready for grant and give you a bit of notice to arrange to go off shore for 3 working days for your partner visa to kick in.

Current offshore from UK is 8-9 months. From NZ I don't know how long. Your CO usually advises you if the wait time when they make first contact. You would need to inform them you intend to go to Aus on a tourist visa and ensure they can contact you.

I'd not head to Aus till you've gotten a CO and undertaken your medical and police check.

ETA - Don't call them. You won't get a definitive answer. Wait till a CO is assigned and you can then email them to ask any important/urgent questions. Don't bother them otherwise it really doesn't help anything and often you get given incorrect info or passed on and it only causes more confusion and worry. Wait for a CO and then deal only with them.

I applied for a partner visa offshore in the UK. Wait time was given as 8-9 months, was processed and granted in 7. I had applied and gotten a 3 month tourist visa to use in case but never needed to travel to Aus on it as partner visa came through. If you've been told 12 months, all I can say is work to that. Don't plan for it to be earlier but if it does come through sooner, great. Get organised now, start your move planning etc but don't wish your time away hoping it will be granted early. It may well be but then it might not. You really have no control over it, accept that and its fine I reckon.

I informed my CO of my plans and did not book my flight till after my tourist visa was granted. CO was fine if I had travelled to Aus on a tourist visa. Would have let me know when to go offshore for visa grant.

Thanks, just read a few horror stories of people not receiving the email or message and it being granted whilst they were onshore and then having their visa cancelled. Also read somewhere that somebody got their tourist visa denied which then got their 309 denied. We can't afford for that to happen. Maybe I'm reading too much on the internet but would be good to hear of anybody that did it successfully.

Again thanks for your reply :)

Lots of people do it. As mentioned above just send the CO your travel itinerary and contact details in Australia. If you're in Australia when the visa is ready to be granted they will contact you and say they are ready to make a decision so can you inform them when you'll be offshore. Send them the dates, go offshore (plan for a few days offshore just to give everything a chance to go through), get the visa grant and then head back onshore.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to know which tourist visa to apply for as well. Obviously I'd like as long as possible but not game to apply for more than the standard 3 months in case it cocks my current visa application up if refused. I've asked about but nobody seems to have any advice on that

• 3 weeks later...
May I ask which tourist visa should I get.

Found out that it's an Evisitor subclass 651 that you need if you are a Brit. I applied for that one and got it granted in less than an hour

Archived