Carpenter/Joiner looking for work in/around Melbourne

LadyCroft

Hi

I have been applying for every joiner/carpenter job coming up on seek.com.au and am currently heading to the northern suburbs for a chat about a potential job but it's all very worrying as I heard there was loads of work for tradies but I can not find anything that hasn't already been snapped up. We need to be out of our short term rental soon and are looking for somewhere long term but I thought we would move to where my work is and the problem is I am yet to find work.

I keep hearing "Oh, try seek.com.au" but I have along with phoning building companies directly to no avail. In the UK where I worked it was all word of mouth and names passed on within the construction business but I am starting to panic here as I can't get a foot in the door anywhere.

Help? How is it best to go about getting a job in construction in Melbourne? Do people really get work off seek.com.au applications? THanks

Maybe you need to go straight to the recruitment agencies. I think that maybe with a lot of the trade adverts on seek.com.au they already have someone or have a list of people before they even go up. On the seek adds they have the recruitment companies name, get a list of say 6 of them and ring them and speak about any opportunities they have, not just the ones you find on seek. Good luck

Word of mouth around here and the tradies usually finish early on a Friday and go to the local pub. Most work for themselves and contract out to builders like Henley, Metricon, Simmonds etc. Joiners and Cabinet makers seem to make the most money and are in demand. Again a lot of them have their own businesses.

There was an article in the papers last week about the recruitment companies making up ads when things were down to get people to send them their resumes so they can make work for themselves.

Leave the large two alone and seek out ones that are specific for industries.

Archived