Lease break-do agents take time to find a new tenant??

bennyboy

Hi,

Have you had an experience where your agent has taken too long in finding a new tenant for your lease break property?

My agent seems to give a different story whenever i call her. She knows that we need to find a new tenant asap and she knows we are to sign the contracts for our new rental tomorrow.

We are very anxious to say the least. We have had 2 home opens this week and she told me there have been applications submitted.

I dont know whether to believe her. We have already stalled the agent for signing our new contract and cant ask again as she is more than likely to say no and will re-advertise the property. We really do not want to lose the property. Ideally we want to know for sure that a new tenant has been found before we sign the new contract.

Has anyone been through this and did it work out ok, or did you sign a new contract and take a risk only for it to drag on for weeks before a new tenant was found???? :eek::arghh:

Thanks in advance! xx

We took a chance and it took 3-4 weeks and us subsidising the rent for the new tenant to the tune of $10 per week for the remainder of the contract. I was getting slightly nervous about how long it might take but the house we rent now is so fantastic that for us it was worth the risk. Not everyone is so fortunate and I completely understand that affording rent for two houses falls in the category of completely stupid. We did it, we've moved on. Good Luck with it all.

Your agent is legally obliged to actively get the place advertised, and if it hasn't rented in a reasonable time, say 4 weeks, they have to explore other avenues such as dropping rent to get someone in. You may be liable for the difference but $20 a week is better than $400. They are not allowed to keep the vacancy unadvertised, forcing you to pay 2 rents until the end of the contract

Archived