North West Melbourne - good for raising young family?

aduffield76

Hi all,

We are moving over to Melbourne in January 2014.

I have secured a job in Port Melbourne but still can't decide on the best areas to live regarding public transport/value for money/things to do/beaches/schools.

we love the Parkdale/Mentone/Chelsea areas but also see value in the Cairnlea/Avondale Heights/Maribyrnong suburbs.

We have spent time in Bayside but no time in the north west.

is there anyone out there who lives in the north west and who can give me some advice?

Cheers in advance,

Andy

I would be looking at how you are going to get to work. From the north you probably would take the tram.

I personally would look at the transport web site and work out the route to where you are going to be working. If you say lived on the Eltham line for example you would then have to change transport from train to the tram to get to Port Melbourne.

Even coming from the south you would have to change transport.

My friend who lives here in Somerville worked in Port Melbourne and she drove to work each day as she had parking at work. Also she had a petrol allowance which helped.

Good luck

Used to live in Melbourne from 88 to 95 in the Western side - started off in St Albans (only because my gran new someone who had a son who moved there - 6 months was enough) and moved to Essendon which was a much nicer area to live and closer to the CBD with better public transport (trains and trams). I would live in Essendon again if I was to go back to Melbourne, assuming it hasn't gone down hill since I left. We also stayed in Airport West which wasn't as nice but not much further away and cheaper to buy - but was OK at the time I was there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I've lived in Avondale Heights for a couple of years now. I love the location. It's handy for everything - big shopping centre, supermarkets, chemists, great parks are only 5 minutes drive away), the tram line which takes you into the city is only 5 mins by car from where I live (tram takes 45 minutes to get to Flinders St. station but the good thing is you always get a seat as it's the first stop!). Some of my friends drive to nearby train stations and commute to the city that way. More and more families with young children are moving into the area and Avondale Primary school has a great reputation (and results on the league table). My 4 year daughter attends a local childcare centre and she loves it. A taxi home from the city costs around $30 (if you're lucky enough to get a night out!). Most houses are not brand new and this is reflected in the rental price but if you can see past the superficial stuff, the location makes up for it. Our house overlooks a huge nature reserve and golf course and we have city views. We even get wallabies in the back garden (and snakes but we've only seen one in 2 years, and that was in the next door neighbours garden). If you need to know any more info, give me a shout. I work in the Western suburbs too so know the place well. By the way, Sunshine and Cairnlea are not that close to Avondale Heights. They're about 10-15km's away.

Archived