can I apply for a British passport?

jimmy1987

Hi guys, just need some freindly advice or information will be appreciated. So my father was born in England, moved to Australia in late 80s. Met my mother here in Australia she was born here. They never married. I belive he still has his british passport he regularly goes over. I was born here in Australia in augest 1987. So can I apply for a British passport/duel citizenship? ? Thank u.

You shouldn't have a problem then. Just apply for a passport via here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I think you'll need your father's current UK passport plus his full birth certificate.

Advantages are - you can live in the UK forever, if you want. Whereas, if you travel there on an Australian passport, you get six months. Having a UK passport also means the EU countries are also open to you to live and work in.

Also means you can stay in Europe for longer than the 90 days allowed on an Ozzy passport... At the moment you can stay for 90 days in any of the shengen visa zones only.. Which sucks if you want to travel around Europe for longer than that.

Archived