Permanent Residency

Big G

Hi

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did look through some threads and couldn't find an exact thread etc.

I have a job offer that comes with a 457 visa.

As I cant go down the skilled migration route in the first place, this may be the only way that I can get our move to Australia.

(the company are going to pay for / arrange said visa)

However, I have heard horror stories on other threads about people having their jobs retracted after they've spent loads of time and effort packing up / taking kids out of school / selling their own home etc (for the record, this must be terrible and I feel sorry to anyone that this may have happened to!)

So I've been thinking about the PR route.

I'd even be willing to pay for this if it gives us the security we need.

However, I've been reading through the Gov websites and seem to be going round in circles a bit.

Am I correct in thinking that I can apply for PR (even if I'm not on the skilled migration list) as long as I have a job offer and they are willing to sponsor me?

If this is the case, how long would this take roughly?

Many thanks

G

If you qualify for a 457 visa then your job must be on the skilled occupation list. You cannot get sponsorship unless it is at leaston the CSOL, the consolidated skilled occupation list. It would make conversations easier if you could actually tell us what your occupation is.

Your employer could sponsor you for a permanent visa straight away so long as you and they can meet the criteria, for you it means passing a skills assessment and having at least three years experience. Or you could see if your occupation is on a state sponsorship list.

As I say, would be much easier to consider your options if we know your occupation. I don't know why, seems to be a lot of people keeping their occupation secret at the moment, keep having to drag it out go 'em. :biggrin:

Just researched the CSOL list and have found the following -

225411 Sales Representative (Industrial Products)

This is definitely my role.

Ok so other things you pull look into are the skills assessment for this role to see if you can pass. Also check out all the state sponsorship lists to see if it is on any. There is a stickie thread at the top of the forum with state sponsorship links. I cannot check them all as on mobile at moment. If your findings re positive to either, then there is a potential PR pathway for you.

Hi there

Thanks for the advice, i'll look into this further.

Noted below is the response I got from a migration agent who I dealt with initially about 12 months ago -

No you will need to take a 457 visa and then see if the company will sponsor you on the permanent ENS visa after you have worked for 2 years, as you then bypass the need for a skills assessment. You cannot apply for a skilled visa without a skills assessment, and you cannot obtain that without a degree.

For the record, I don't have a degree, in case you're wondering.

I'll bring it up with the employer when I speak to them in a couple of days.

Thanks for the offer of advice too.

G

Sorry, the last post looks like a rant.

I messed up my font when cutting and pasting the agents response.

G

I came 2 and a bit years ago as a sales rep, I had the wrong type of degree to be assessed by Vet Assess so had to tough out the two years. It passed quickly, got PR in Sept... its a massive gamble and one you need to consider. It worked for me...

Good luck.

Hi

I'm glad it worked out for you. Looks like I might have to go down this route myself.

Thanks

G

How about accepting the sponsor visa and after that applying for the 189 or 190? You can get points for work experience and you do not necessarily have to have a degree as long as it is assessed to be equivalent of an Australian degree. NVQ would help a bit of course. State sponsorship is the fastest way to go to get your PR.

Take the job if you can. Make sure you have a contract that guarantees the promises. Might want to talk to a solicitor even. Don't get rid of anything until you have the visa in your hands, even so you can always sort things out after you leave for Oz.

Sound advice, thanks Maggie

Unfortunately no not really. I have looked up your occupation on vetasses and you definitely need a degree, to be equivalent to an Australian degree will typically need a degree. I think you would need to do two years on the 457 and hope that everything works out and they are willing to sponsor you for a permanent visa.

Archived