Inner West Sydney- Where to live?

Dan1357

Hi,

Me and my partner are currently living in Wollongong and will probably be moving to Inner West Sydney once my job offer is complete. My partner will be commuting to Campbelltown and I Penrith. We are just wondering where to live and need some advice on areas. We will have 2 cars and this is an issue we are struggling with in regards to parking. Ideally we would like a place with 2 car spaces or maybe just one car space but some road parking available where we wouldn't have to struggle finding a space. We like Newtown and Stanmore. Newtown has a lot to offer but we are a bit worried we would struggle with parking the other car on the road as it gets busy here, is this the general consensus? Wehave seen a lot of accommodation available in Camperdown which looks really nice but we have never been. Does anybody have any advice to give in regards to what parking would be like in Camperdown and also if the area is as good as Newtown. If anybody can help us with any information or other nearby areas that would be good to move to we would be most grateful.

Thanks

Can u not get a place that comes with underground or secure private parking? I would go for newtown..everyone I know from work who lives there loves it..I dont know anyone that parks on the street though, they all seem to have accomodation wth private parking...ive only been once but alot happening there compared to other places and very pretty..something different about it thats appealing x

On street parking in newtown is v limited. We lived in stanmore for two yrs and loved it. The plane noise is bad, but it is in newtown too! Camper down is ok, not been there much, think it has less of a village atmosphere than newtown and stanmore but better access to parramatta rd. Do you need to have two cars? Stanmore and newtown are both v handy for commuting by train to penrith. There's an express train from redfern which may call at strathfield, both handy from the inner west.

Just out of curiosity, why would you move to the inner west when you've got to commute to Penrith and Campbeltown? I live in the inner west, and the only real positive thing (in my opinion) is that it's convenient for commuting to the city. The downsides are the traffic at weekends (and weekdays, even if you are supposedly going against the peak-time flow) and the high cost of property and rentals, all of which you're in the perfect position to avoid.

Hi, This is Katie Dans girlfriend... thanks for the responses. Lorna: there are some places with one secure parking spot but not two and we didn't want to have to worry about the other car :( We do love Newtown but thinking the parking for the other car would be easier if Camperdown is less busy on the streets. Cez- How did you find the on street parking in Stanmore? We were thik=nking we needed another car as the commute on the train is an hour which is good for Penrith however when I get off at the other end its going to be a 23 minute walk. Would also mean me needing to get to the train station for 6:30am so looking at a 5:45-6am get up which I wasn't really keep on. Thanks Mary Rose and Cez- Will have a look at those areas. Franki- We are not looking to buy at this moment in time just renting for now. MXH- Do you know of the traffic being bad out of these areas on weekedays? We were hoping it would be ok as we were going against Sydney traffic. We are looking close to the Sydney region as we have been to Newtown and Stanmore lots and love the vibe there and selection of things to see and do and eat etc etc. We were thinking of living in the Hills, infact we are going to set this weekend aside to study the hills but the next weekend to study Newtown/ Stanmore/ Camperdown etc. Just thought if we are going to move from Wollongong to Sydney we might as well move close to the CBD so we are nearer to the beach/and nightlife etc. If we were to go to Sydney during a weekend night though and have to return to the Hills we would be looking at a long train ride and then a 10 minute taxi ride from the train station in Blacktown which put us off. On the upside we woudnt have to worry about parking and we could have a garden. Still trying to decide to be honest... we want the best of both worlds I guess, we will just have to make a sacrifice somewhere in what we want. Trying to make that decision and really appreciate everyone help. Thanks guys :)

Do you know of the traffic being bad out of these areas on weekedays? We were hoping it would be ok as we were going against Sydney traffic.

It's obviously better than going into the city, but Parramatta road is pretty bad even going against the flow, and there's not a lot of alternative between Newtown and the M4.

So even on a good day, I reckon it'll take you at least an hour to Penrith. I'd imagine that the West Connex will make it better in the long term, but it'll probably be a lot worse over the next few years whilst they're building it.

Not sure about getting down to the M5 for Campbelltown, but for both journeys I'd seriously recommend trying it sometime before committing. But if you do do it, at least you can claim back the M5 toll (well, almost all of it)

Just thought if we are going to move from Wollongong to Sydney we might as well move close to the CBD so we are nearer to the beach/and nightlife etc.

It's normally about 30 - 45 minutes drive at the weekend for us to get to a beach - again, it's the weekend traffic that's a nightmare. I may be wrong, but I don't think there's any public transport that gets you to a beach easily.

I don't mean to be down on the Inner West - it suits us as we work in the city. But I think you'd be wise to check out the journey times before committing.

We lived on the Camperdown / Annandale boarder from Nov 2011 - Feb 2013, and now we live on the Erskineville / Newtown boarder.

I'm afraid that street parking in Camperdown is only a little better than Newtown. Staff at RPA hospital have a 2yr waiting list for hospital parking, so many have to park on the streets and drive to the area really early in order to get a space within walking distance. There's a better chance of finding a space if you're looking in the evening, but finding one during the working day can be difficult.

If you can get by with one car (and wherever you rent should have a space for one car), then Newtown will be easier for one of you to commute on public transport, as there's 3 train stations in the area (Newtown, Erskineville, St Peter's), although I don't *think* you'd be able to get a direct train to Penrith or Campbeltown from any of them (I may be wrong).

Otherwise, renting a car space may be expensive.

We liked living in Camperdown, but mainly because my partner could walk to work at RPA in 10 mins and we were walking distance to Newtown! Camperdown doesn't really have a community centre like Newtown does. You'd probably find yourself strolling up to Newtown for dinner / cinema / pub / shopping etc.

Another point, I often go to the eastern suburb beaches at the weekend, usually leaving early so I don't get sun burnt and can easily park there. It only takes me 15mins to drive to Coogee /Bondi / Malabar / Clovelly if I leave around 8am in the Summer. (It takes longer coming back around lunch time, maybe 35-40 mins). The drive there would take 15 - 20 mins longer from my previous Camperdown / Annandale address.

Also, I'm surprised that you're considering 2 completely different areas; The Hills and the Inner West. I can't imagine that many people would be happy in both as they offer such very different things! We love the infrastructure and vibe and culture of the Inner West and would never consider living out in the Hills (kind of like 'the sticks' or 'the burbs' to my mind). Of course I appreciate that it suits the people who choose to live there as they have different priorities and interests, and I expect most wouldn't dream of swopping it for the Inner West!

Thanks MRX, looks like we should try the commute out so we get an idea of travel times and traffic. Thanks Naomi- That's not good news about the parking in Camperdown. Ideally we would both cars to be in a lock up under the apartment or in a garage or drive. We need two cars really as if I get this job in Penrith the site where I would be working is a 23 minute walk from the train station. Maybe it would be possible to rent a second space within the apartment block. Which would be ideal if it was affordable. Wouldn't like to have to rely on street parking if its going to be difficult. We do like the vibe of Newtown, there just seems to be a lot more very very nice apartments in Camperdown.

I do understand they are very different areas. I guess I just want it all, the straight forward parking seems to be an issue for us with 2 cars, I would imagine it to be less hassle getting to work from the Hills and also getting more for your money like a garden which I would appreciate as we would no longer be able to see the beach from our apartment. Then on the other hand Newtown has all the city has to offer and a much closer commute to the CBD at weekends.

How about car spaces in Stanmore... is this any better for on street parking for the second car?

How about 1 car and 1 motor bike? It's easy parking a bike.

We enjoyed renting in one of the Trio apartments on Sterling Circuit in Camperdown. There's an estate agent on site called Greencliff, they'd be able to tell you have much a second car space would be to rent. (I think only the 3 bed apartments came with 2 spaces).

(btw - Greencliff are a pretty rubbish service).

I'm not sure if I trust myself on a motorbike lol

Thanks Naomi, I will give them a call tomorrow to see what they have to say. Do you prefer living in Newtown compared to Camperdown? What are the benefits/ negatives of both besides more bars/ diners etc in Newtown :)

Just moved to Newtown a week ago (not far from Waterloo) but loving it so far. However would question why anyone would live here if they had a driving commute to Penrith as King Street is a nightmare most of the day and chokes traffic in streets around it. I'm at the St Peters end of King Street but also walking distance to Enmore and Newtown station. We had a housewarming the other day and 4 visitors managed to park, even though streets are busy. Fortunately I work at Town Hall, so the commute is easy (10 mins from St Peters station).

There is a load of shops, cafes bars and restaurants on this side of King Street, Marrickville metro shopping, loads more in Enmore. When I arrived a year ago we looked at Newtown rentals but they had loads of competition and are cheaper now. We managed to get a 2 bed single floor terrace with garden for $560 pw. It's older, doesn't have a dishwasher and internal decor is old but it really feels like home compared to the mod con unit we were living in previously.

As a Londoner, many of the suburbs in Sydney lack character but I definitely feel at home here, got a Camden Town feel about it with less tourists :). Also while moving in many of the neighbours said hello - a nice start on a stressful moving day (another story). With so much going on in the area (Newtown and Camperdown festivals coming up), the focus is really shifting away from the CBD for us. Unless you are in the early 20's and like to get drunk and fight, the nightlife in the CBD is crap, tons of it in Newtown/Enmore with a great small bar and music scene. It's also very diverse, gays/lesbians, goths, tattooed types, hipsters, trendies, families, lefties and laid back people in general set up home here. The best place for a pub crawl is definitely right here.

In short, get a decent property and if you accept the weekday commute will be difficult then Newtown is a great place to live.

We never had an issue with on street parking in stanmore, though granted our flat came with a secure parking space. We lived near the station so commuters would park outside but there's more parking than in newtown.

theres a direct bus from newtown to coogee, though it takes a while!

i used to work in parramatta and about 60%ish of my colleagues would live in the inner west and commute. Personally I really like the feel of the inner west, lots going on and lots of families too. I liked Glebe a lot too but the public transport there was not great for parramatta.

Hi Mark and Cez,

Living in Newtown sounds like it has everything. I guess yes the issue would be the commuting to Penrith and Campbelltown from here. Would you think the commute would be any better if living in the Enmore or Stanmore area? I guess Stanmore sounds better for leaving our second car for on street parking. IS the on street parking situation pretty good in Enmore too?

Thanks for your help guys :)

Katie (Dans GF)

I'm not sure if I trust myself on a motorbike lol

Thanks Naomi, I will give them a call tomorrow to see what they have to say. Do you prefer living in Newtown compared to Camperdown? What are the benefits/ negatives of both besides more bars/ diners etc in Newtown :)

For me being 10-15 mins shorter drive from the ocean is a big positive to living in Newtown, as I go to the coast all the time. (I love being near / in the water, but just prefer everything else the inner west suburbs offer compared to the Eastern suburbs).

Neither Camperdown nor Newtown has a public pool, but this isn't an issue for me as I lived / now live in complexes with pools. The nearest public pool to Newtown is the one in Marrickville but it's indoors - about a 5-10 min drive. Camperdown is nearer to the outdoor Leichhardt Aquatic centre - maybe about a 10 min drive. Both suburbs have public gyms.

Where I am now (Newtown/Erskineville) seems greener than where I was (Camperdown), which struck me as a bit too tarmac-y at times. However, I think this is more to do with exactly where my building was/is in relation to greenery as both suburbs have parks and ovals. (Obviously not a patch on the Hills district, if that's still in

Bus links from Camperdown to the CBD are very good and the journey is usually very quick, but on balance I prefer being near the train stations of the Newtown area just because trains are more reliable than buses (as they're not dependent on traffic congestion).

If it's a toss up between Camperdown and Newtown I would focus more on whichever apartment you like best, as both areas are within easy walking distance from each other so it doesn't make a massive difference which one you technically live in. My other half has just commented that whilst he loves Newtown, he actually prefers being a 15 or so minute stroll away than being right in it. He thinks night time strolls home are refreshing after a few drinks / meal out etc, and we've never felt unsafe walking around together after dark.

Archived