Shannon's Car Insurance

katyjc

Hi all,

sorry I have not visited or posted in a while, been busy with the big move. We are finally here in Victoria (4 weeks now) and have had a very busy time getting it all sorted out. From jobs to Medicare to child care rebate to home phone connection, wow, it's all taken way longer than expected. Happy to answer any questions about setting up home/ kids in the early days here in oz if anyone has any.

just got news our imported car arrived, ready to pick up tomorrow. Phoned Shannon's car ins for a quote on recommendation from Iron Lady Imports who imported for us, only to be subjected to a quiz on how much I love cars. "What do I know about cars?" " what can I tell him about cars?" "Have I ever done a car modification?" "am I a REAL car enthusiast?" My answers were obviously not correct, as I was told that I don't fit their profile as a customer, cos they are "all about the person". Silly me, thought car insurance had at least something to do with the car. I must be somewhat enthusiastic about my Mercedes to pay upward of £4000 to import the thing!! I wonder if it would have been a different story if my husband had phoned ( who, btw, knows a lot less about cars than I do!)

things in Aus are hard when you don't know the system. And it's hard setting up everything from scratch, like all the types of insurance. Shannon's we're no help to me at all, they didn't even recommend somewhere else to contact. Most other businesses we have dealt with in our early days have been really helpful.

anyway, that's my rant. Moderators, please don't moderate my views too much. You can see from my post history I am usually a reasonable person!

katy xx

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Katy

I was chatting to a member on here the other day who uses them and seems to be very happy with them. I know he has modifications and is an off road enthusiast. Maybe they feel you could get somewhere else cheaper.

Ps I left your post but edited out the swearing as it is a family forum :wink:

Hi Cerberus,

Just got off phone with just car insurance, as you suggested. Super helpful, super friendly, we are now insured!

Sorry about the rant, feeling better now. Just don't often face such blatant sexism. Am doing the silly thing of re-running the situation over and over in my mind, thinking that I should have said this or that to him. But I didn't say anything clever or cutting, actually thanked him and hung up. Pathetic!! Lol!

Friday night after my first week at new job, sun still shining, time for a glass of wine me thinks!

Hi Cerberus,

Just got off phone with just car insurance, as you suggested. Super helpful, super friendly, we are now insured!

Sorry about the rant, feeling better now. Just don't often face such blatant sexism. Am doing the silly thing of re-running the situation over and over in my mind, thinking that I should have said this or that to him. But I didn't say anything clever or cutting, actually thanked him and hung up. Pathetic!! Lol!

Friday night after my first week at new job, sun still shining, time for a glass of wine me thinks!

It's not a sexist thing. They are notoriously hard to get insurance with. Most people are told they can't be insured if it is a main getting to and from work vehicle. They seem to like people who have their cars for special occasions.

Archived