Where is the best place to move to for a carpenter ?

Gaz Evans7

Hi guys me my wife are looking to start our visa application, but are still unsure which state to move to for work?? I have 14 years experience and fully qualified. Are there any carpenters that could help ??? We do have friends in Melbourne and Brisbane... Thankyou :-)

Welcome to the forum, as you have friends in Brisbane and Melbourne it may be a good idea to consider Queensland or Victoria. You need to consider whether you are happy to be working in humid heat as its humid in Brisbane in the summer. It gets hot in Melbourne as well but its a dry heat and we do get a cool changes which makes it easier to work outside. Melbourne has daylight saving which gives families more time after work in the warmer months, Queensland does not have daylight saving.

Work is up and down in the building industry. Suggest you join the Life in Victoria forum and the Life in Queensland forum as people who have already moved over are active there and can give you some pointers. Quiz your friends for as much information as you can. There are links to the forums mentioned at the foot of this one.

Good luck

I know nothing about your trade but it is likely you will need various licences, these vary a lot between states so it is worth looking into whether it would be harder to get started in one over another. That said friends are an important asset in getting settled and as Petal says, what kind of weather suits - please don't imagine 40 degree heat is in any way nice, especially if it's humid as well. Not too bad if you're working in an air-conditioned office but outside, no thank you!

And yes, there is a down turn in Australia - it is quite a volatile economy and as a lot of it's wealth is based on resources and mining it is vulnerable to changes in price of oil, gold, iron ore etc. There is a lot of investment from China and resources sold to China so there are impacts from there as well.

WA is probably still the most booming state and I believe Queensland is suffering quite badly but I left 3 months ago so starting to lose touch (& you can't believe what people of here say:wink:)

Maybe it's just me but I actually prefer the humid heat to dry heat after getting used to it. Never been as uncomfortably hot as I was in Melbourne late last year during a hot spell.

I think you get used to wherever you are in the end

Archived