Tax Returns in Year of Arrival

Dellboy

Hi, I'm looking for information from anyone who has been through this process already. Thankfully, my tax affairs are pretty simple as I only have salary and interest income to worry about plus some UK personal pension contributions, so I'm hoping things should be straight forward (wishful thinking perhaps).

I emigrated from the UK on a PR visa in Jan 2013 (having worked up to Dec 2012) and started work in Australia in February 2013. I am currently gathering all the information I need to prepare tax returns for UK and Australia and realise I am running out of time, so need to get a move on. I may well get the help of a tax agent in Oz to make sure I get things right here, but will probably do my tax return for the UK online as in previous years. But I have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

On my UK tax return, do I need to declare my Australian earnings for the 2 months that overlapped the UK tax year (ie Feb & Mar 2013) or do I ignore them? I have read threads about 'split treatment' of UK tax residency, but don't really know if that applies or not to my situation.

On my Australian tax return, do I only need to declare my UK taxable income from the date that I arrived in Australia? If that is the case I assume I ignore the UK salary but include the UK interest income on bank deposits I left in the UK?

Thanks for any help

just keep both seperate and on the ozzy one you may get a rebate. you earned the UK earnings (interest) before you even got here so why should the ozzy gov get some of it. the interest rate is rubbish in the UK so I doubt you will need to declare much money anyway. unless you have millions - and if you did I bet you wouldnt be migrating to Oz

the interest rate is rubbish in the UK so I doubt you will need to declare much money anyway. unless you have millions - and if you did I bet you wouldnt be migrating to Oz

Millions I wish!! But the interest is a couple of thousand per year, as I sold my house in UK before I left and money is still sat there waiting to come across if/when we buy here. There's also about 15 years' worth of TESSAs & ISAs that I put into for a rainy day (which get decent interest rates) which I've also got sitting there in the UK. I've been told that they stay tax free for UK tax return purposes, but the Oz taxman strips away the tax-free wrapper and taxes that interest too.

Rupert - do you reckon include Oz earnings (for Feb/Mar 2013) on UK tax return or leave off?

Archived