Should the whole family migrate together on receiving the visa?

ozpete

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I need some advice. I am applying for visa 489 family sponsored. On receiving the visa I am planning to move first to Australia and once I have got a job and arranged the accommodation, school, etc I would like to get my wife and child down under. My question is within what time frame my wife and child should enter into Australia from the time of receiving the visa.

I also understand that medicals have a period of validity. As such could I do medicals now and others to do before they leave for Australia? Would DIAC require that all medicals done at the same time before making a decision? Would they allow one to migrate first and others later?

Thanks for any help on this

All medicals and police checks are required before visa is granted - and all validation dates are the same. You will get 12 months from earliest date of medicals or police checks to validate visa. So yes you could travel first then others follow as long as its before date stated on grant.

Everyone has individual visas that need validating.

Pete, back in Aug. '08 I travelled first and set up house and school, and family arrived about one month later. Placed kids in school from Sept through Dec (end of school year) to get them introduced and acclimated, then they started up again in late January. Since they didn't start the new year cold turkey, they were somewhat familiar with the school routine, and had made some friends. This was certainly the best course of action for our family and I would recommend this, as you will be able to do everything on your schedule with no constraints. Of course, this has to be acceptable to your better half!! Most likely as long as you and family enter no later than your 'travel by' date, there are no worries. Note that this was the provision for a 100 PR visa; your 489 maybe different so you have to check and be sure. Cheers!!

Archived