Wesley College - Perth, WA

Guest Echo

Hi - has anyone got their children at Wesley College in Perth? Or looked at it as a prospective school?

And if anyone has, I'm curious to know whether you live South or North of the river?

Cheers -

Nat

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Nat

My son is in a school which competes in sport with Wesley. It is a good school, and has a good reputation.

Good location also in South Perth, close to the river.

Where are you living (or will be living) in Perth?

Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm currently in Melbourne but my son (5) is due to start at Wesley in January. As a consequence I'm probably going to relocate to Como/South Perth in December - certainly flying in early December but after that given the rental market, I may have to take whatever I can get.

I'm curious actually - you say you've lived in all the major cities in Australia - what is it about Perth you love so much? This will be my last stab at making a go of it in Australia. My Mother was born in Perth and I have a handful of distant family (cousins) in Perth but I have nothing here in Melbourne, which has probably contributed to the 'lack of belonging' I feel down here. Mum's back in England now but plans to visit every couple of years minimum so that should help.

Cheers -

Nat

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Nat

Where people feel at home is very personal. I like the beach and wanted a great place to bring up my children. I am now on my own with my children for 1/2 a month, with no other relatives here.

I am not sure I will ever fill the emptiness of not having my mates etc I grew up with around me, but the choice was one for my children. To go the beach, be outdoors in the sunshine, and have a young and vibrant environment that is clean and fairly safe is very important to me. I have lived and owked in Asia, Africa and Uk as well as Australia.

Perth, to me, not only has everything I love now, but it is also the city of teh future, I believe. Already, people in Australia look at Perth as a lifestyle choice, but it has more, if one is prepared to scratch the surface. As the population increases, it will become a major centre in Australasia, I believe.

East coast is ok, but sydney is london by the sea for me, Brisbane too far away from teh beaches and Melbourne does not have the climate (for me). Never considered Adelaide because it was not suitable for my career and don't think it ever will be.

Would be great to catch up for a chat when you come over.

best wishes

phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for that posting. My family speak of Perth as the 'world's best kept secret'. I wish I'd moved there first off and not gone via Wellington and Melbourne! Never mind. I'm not a fan of Sydney, Melbourne's too cold and beachless, Adelaide (too religious) and Darwin don't appeal and as I've lived in NZ, Tassie doesn't hold much for me either (NZ with snakes they tell me!) so Perth is pretty much it.

I'm sticking it out in Perth for the sake of my two boys for as long as I can. Wesley seems to be a good school - my cousin went there as did his Father (so another cousin) and I'm thinking that in a small city such as Perth, who you know may be just as important as what. The old boys' network can open up quite a few doors. Anyway, I'll see how it goes.

Would welcome meeting up once across.

Cheers -

Nat

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Nat

The old boys network is VERY strong here and that is one of the reasons both my kids are in the independent system.

Phil

Interesting - thanks for that. Reassures me I've done the right thing!

Is the rivalry between schools fierce?! I saw that Scotch College was right across the river from Wesley and I assumed that those two in particular would be major opponents across the board but particularly with sport.

Also off topic but while I have you here, is there much of a community spirit anywhere in Perth? It's totally lacking here in Melbourne. One thing I really miss about Englanad is the way a village would come together say at the village fete or some function at the village hall. That just doesn't happen here - people go to their respective homes and do their own thing and there's no bonding anywhere to be seen. Sad. And actually hugely isolating I should think for everyone.

I see there also seems to be something of a North/South divide in Perth as well as a Freemantle vs Perth rivalry. I'll be sticking South simply because that's where the school is plus I have a couple of family members that way (Como/Shelley).

Archived