Advice on securing long term rental

LadyCroft

We are heading out to Melbourne at the start of November and have a short term furnished apartment for 4 weeks so we can buy a car and look for a long term rental.

Any advice on what to do to make sure we get the rental we want? I have seen people talking about registering online first but I am not sure what they are talking about. ALso, should we make sure we take along a bank statement showing that we have enough money to rent the place or what do we need?

We have no experience of securing a long term rental - only short terms when we were there in 2005 where paying a big deposit would help us out back then.

Any advice on the process and how to successfully get long term rental would be fab thanks

Depending on what/where you want to rent, offering $5 per week above asking price can help. My first few rentals were brand new, central, suited to singles and reasonably expensive so we were able to negotiate to actually pay less than asking price.

But when we wanted to rent a family home in a good school suburb, competition was fierce! And after being outbid on a few properties, we offered slightly more than asking price and were successful! We also had to provide 6 (yes 6!) referees each .. Current and past landlords, current and past employer, 2 x friends. Employer was grilled about our personalities to ensure we would be easy to deal with. Other rentals were not as tough to get as that though!

Some agents prefer you to submit applications online, so perhaps that is what "registering" first means? But being first to register or submit app does not guarantee you will be accepted .. Higher bidder will usually win! Good luck!

Guest Guest26012

We just brought mortgage statements etc and a reference from a house we rented in the uk after we sold the house. We were both working though. And that was six years ago.good luck!

I would say be realistic to your situation. We arrived with no jobs, could offer 3 months up in advance and have 3 kids lol. So on paper not ideal. We got our first application because we chose an ok place, that was cheap and not the Oz dream! It's being bulldozed in a few months so it's a temporary home for prob a max of 6 months but it took the panic off looking, put everyone else off and we can look around when the time comes for something else hopefully with jobs and rental history.

The only thing registering online does is that if they know you are interested in a property they can inform you if an inspection is cancelled or postponed to another time or date which is very helpful when you have several places to get to at different times.

Archived