Inner City Melbourne getting more congested

Petals

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/highrise-rush-threatening-citys-liveability-20130926-2uh0z.html

I am sad that this is happening because of the quality of lifestyle which is being/has been lost from the city. I must admit it has been on my mind as I live out of the city and now a widow thought about moving closer to my children and into the city itself. However I will not be doing this as buy a lovely house on a nice plot of land in inner Melbourne and hey presto next month 36 apartments appear on the fenceline. Its happening everywhere and it will spoil and change the demographics of Melbourne. So Gov if you want us long term residents to live in the city, you are batting for the wrong team, we want to live on the fringe and retain what we had and are used to

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/highrise-rush-threatening-citys-liveability-20130926-2uh0z.html

I am sad that this is happening because of the quality of lifestyle which is being/has been lost from the city. I must admit it has been on my mind as I live out of the city and now a widow thought about moving closer to my children and into the city itself. However I will not be doing this as buy a lovely house on a nice plot of land in inner Melbourne and hey presto next month 36 apartments appear on the fenceline. Its happening everywhere and it will spoil and change the demographics of Melbourne. So Gov if you want us long term residents to live in the city, you are batting for the wrong team, we want to live on the fringe and retain what we had and are used to

I am not certain if you have been to NYC but you might want to go. Or even Tokyo. Times change we have to just get use to it. What else can you do?

I am not certain if you have been to NYC but you might want to go. Or even Tokyo. Times change we have to just get use to it. What else can you do?

Yep been to NYC and Tokyo but this is Melbourne Australia and we have a lot more space in Aus so that we do not have to live so close to each other, that is what the beauty of living here is/was in Melbourne.

compared to London or even Bristol the traffic in Melbourne is nothing to complain about

The point is not to let it get as bad as other places, the government has plenty of information worldwide on how infrastructure is the answer to making a place liveable or not. When it takes as long to get from Brunswick to work in the city as it does from Frankston then there is a problem with infrastructure, how do I know this my daughter tells me, trams flying by full and cannot get on to a tram etc etc same at night.

So everyone says oh we must live near the city when in fact travel from further afield can be just the same amount of time.

Also there is the overshadowing problem, people should be able to control the development in their area.

When my daughter moved into the house she now rents with her partner in Brunswick they were immediately inundated with residents petitions against the kinds of development that are taking place in the area. The house she lives in is very nice and recently renovated, if they had bought it she said they would have been terribly upset when they found out what was planned for the street. There has to be a balance and the balance is being tipped.

Docklands I remember discussing with my boss when it first started and I had clients who bought off the plan and I thought no wind tunnel, ghetto in the making and now it has become a non desirable place to live, expensive but those that are in the know would not live there in a blue fit.

Poor planning in many Australian cities is part of the problem manifesting today which will greatly worsen. I suspect the majority of Australians will soon be living in places beyond their means. Those that purchased in times past will manage but others will be confined to flat dwelling. The price of land, poor transport alternatives, sky rocketing real estate for now will all contribute for enforced changes on how Australians live. A generation on it will seem normal. Besides a lot of newer immigrants come from countries of dense living environments and will be happier living in similar environments here.

I don't think having a lot of land and the ever stretching outward growth in cities is anywhere near sustainable. Perhaps in years to come less desirable as well as adds to costs and folk may want more than a soulless and void environment to live in.

Poor planning in many Australian cities is part of the problem manifesting today which will greatly worsen. I suspect the majority of Australians will soon be living in places beyond their means. Those that purchased in times past will manage but others will be confined to flat dwelling. The price of land, poor transport alternatives, sky rocketing real estate for now will all contribute for enforced changes on how Australians live. A generation on it will seem normal. Besides a lot of newer immigrants come from countries of dense living environments and will be happier living in similar environments here.

I don't think having a lot of land and the ever stretching outward growth in cities is anywhere near sustainable. Perhaps in years to come less desirable as well as adds to costs and folk may want more than a soulless and void environment to live in.

Actually its the new migrants who live in the flats and as has always happened, once the new ones move in the Aussies move out and out and that just what is happening. Over the years at work found it interesting how suburbs changed and guess a sociologist like my daughter could explain why.

From what I heard this is the current state governments future plan for the city a mini NY, roof top gardens as there will be no green space, the plan is eventually to limit cars entering the CBD thus the push for new roads to go around the city. The plan is you live and work in the city using the trams, far more bikes, or walk.

Guess those who love that style of life will stay those that don't will move. Issue of course the further out you move the worse the infrastructure, little public transport, little for kids to do, but cheaper land and houses. Guess that is why a growing number of families are moving to places like Ballarat and Bendigo, rather than the outer suburbs, as these cities have good facilities, not bad public transport, good schools and land and property half the price of Melbourne.

Archived