So where do you HAVE to go to, whilst living in Oz? (Holiday ideas?) or just work?

egrek

Here for travel or work?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Here for travel or work?

• Travel only - great then where?
    • Work only - savings no travel!
    • Work and travel - what's your top pick?
    • Work now, travel later - maybe another visa?

Hi all

As I've been out of work a bit, can't find real jobs to apply for (and am on a temporary visa) I was wondering what places in Australia you wanted to go to.

Our plan was always to come here, work a bit, see it and head on. We've just here a little longer (and will be more if I can get another job) but in this gap, after being here two years and just working, we have started to travel and see the place. It's quite big.

So far we've been to:

Melbourne - Great Ocean road, Domain Chandon (Champagne winery), Philip island, Echuga, Ballarat, Healsville sanctuary (platypus).

Adelaide - Kangeroo Island, Barossa Valley, holding a Koala.

Alice Springs - Telegraph museum, Ayer's Rock*, Kata Tjuta, King's Canyon*.

Sydney - Blue mountains, Harbour*, Bondi

Other targets are:

Tazmania - (just to go?)

Gold Coast - Cairns, Brisbane and Sydney, GBR, Whitsunday islands.

Perth - (just to say we've been?)

Broome - Ningaloo reef

Darwin - Kakadu NP

Melbourne - Hanging Rock (just reading the book now)

Canberra - (to complete the states/territories)

Things we're going to miss:

Coober Pedy - didn't have time at Adelaide, too far - most people say after an hour or two there's nothing more to do?

Just wondering if people are here to work, travel or both. And if seeing things, what are top of your lists? What's worth seeing? What's not?

We came to work and travel, but when we got here it became just work (due to exchange rate) but now without work it's back to travelling too (even if odd when we're spending more when not earning as much!)

Our core places were (*starred*) Ayer's Rock, King's Canyon and Sydney Harbour. GOR was added coming to Melbourne.

Now you're here, is it just too expensive to travel? As a backpacker - a week here is a month elsewhere. Seems painful!

We are here to live, which involves working and holidaying when we can.

So far we have been to all the state capitals (except Tasmania, we have not made it down there yet but have a timeframe for that in mind). In NSW where we live, we have done road trips up the coast and down the coast and we have also headed inland to the mountains and the wine regions. We did the Ghan rail journey from Adelaide to Darwin in our first year here. We have been to Cairns and FNQ twice.

We have a long list of things we want to do but the top picks include: Whitsundays or other islands on the GBR, Ningaloo, Tasmania, Margaret River and we would like to get inland and do some outback trips.

We are here to live, which involves working and holidaying when we can.

So far we have been to all the state capitals (except Tasmania, we have not made it down there yet but have a timeframe for that in mind). In NSW where we live, we have done road trips up the coast and down the coast and we have also headed inland to the mountains and the wine regions. We did the Ghan rail journey from Adelaide to Darwin in our first year here. We have been to Cairns and FNQ twice.

We have a long list of things we want to do but the top picks include: Whitsundays or other islands on the GBR, Ningaloo, Tasmania, Margaret River and we would like to get inland and do some outback trips.

My wife would love to do the Ghan, but we were put off by the cost. How was it? Is it comfortable, luxurious??

My wife would love to do the Ghan, but we were put off by the cost. How was it? Is it comfortable, luxurious??

It was a very memorable trip and we loved every minute of it. We went for our wedding anniversary in June 2011. We spent most of our time in our private cabin as it had great big picture windows. We were surprised at how green the red centre is, but there had been a lot of rain around that time. I had imagined we would see giant red kangaroos bounding alongside us but in fact we did not see any wildlife at all, the abundance of rain meant they didn't need to congregate anywhere. Meals could be taken in the cabin or in the dining room, we did both, one night there was a power cut and the train broke down and they couldn't cook dinner, so we had cheese sandwiches and went to bed instead.

I didn't explore all parts of the train, it is 0.5km long and we felt daft just walking through carriages, but it was lovely up front in platinum class where we were.

:biggrin:

IMGP2411.jpg

IMGP2550.jpg

IMGP2424.jpg

IMGP2433.jpg

IMGP2411.jpg

IMGP2424.jpg

IMGP2433.jpg

IMGP2550.jpg

Yes- you have to go to Tasmania. Freycinet Peninsula, Coles Bay, Bay of Fires etc. Nothing like it. Cape Tribulation in FNQ is good , too and there is a waterfall circuit up there where you can have a dip. We liked Litchfield National park as well as Kakadu. a lot closer to Darwin. I am also a fan of the Sunshine Coast.

Wow thanks for the pics and info - I was going to ask the same as GeorgeD. Did you not get bored? We imagined there wasn't a huge amount to do (or see in the middle)

No didn't get bored, although it is certainly not an action packed trip either. If I remember it correctly, first day set off early afternoon, so first few hours it is fascinating just looking out of the windows, have a quick stroll around and down to the lounge (shown in my pics) and I think they did cocktails and a talk there first night. On second and third days, there are stops for about four or five hours that break up the day, one stop in Alice Springs and the next day in Katherine. So with the excursions and the breaks for meals and mingling with other passengers in the dining cart and lounge it didn't drag out at all. Bringing some reading material is a good idea as well though.

I can't believe you haven't got The Whitsundays and Great Barrier Reef on your list!

The GBR is amazing. I don't dive but I loved snorkelling there.

OP has both of those on the list. It is just a bit of a jumbled up list, they look like a subset of the Gold Coast. :laugh:

OP has both of those on the list. It is just a bit of a jumbled up list, they look like a subset of the Gold Coast. :laugh:

Is it not?

Maybe I should go separate all that?

I guess it's as we're thinking of doing that East coast all in one go. :)

• 2 weeks later...

i have travelled around quite a lot but for me coral bay up far north west wa near exmouth was the most amazing . and margeret river red gate beach off caves road ..also saying that port douglas north queensland is also pretty mindblowing . a lot is amazing but maybe this is my top 3 id say .. for beaches - enjoy yourselfs :)

Archived