Rentals in QLD

Cubic

I've just come over on a 457 and am staying in temporary accommodation provided my my work. I'm living in this place for the next 6-10 weeks until our container arrives and then will move in to rental. Most rental companies seem to want a QLD driving license, proof of address and a reference. As the apartment I'm in is paid for my my work and I'm not paying any bills at all for it I'm finding it difficult to prove address and also I'm unable to change my driving license to a QLD one for the same reason.

This mustn't be an uncommon problem. What's the easiest solution? I've asked my employer whether I can change the tennancy in to my name but doubt that this is an option as they are paying for it.

I've just come over on a 457 and am staying in temporary accommodation provided my my work. I'm living in this place for the next 6-10 weeks until our container arrives and then will move in to rental. Most rental companies seem to want a QLD driving license, proof of address and a reference. As the apartment I'm in is paid for my my work and I'm not paying any bills at all for it I'm finding it difficult to prove address and also I'm unable to change my driving license to a QLD one for the same reason.

This mustn't be an uncommon problem. What's the easiest solution? I've asked my employer whether I can change the tennancy in to my name but doubt that this is an option as they are paying for it.

Most landlords want to assure themselves that you won't trash the place and you'll pay the rent on time. A letter from your employer indicating the length of your contract might be useful. And just write a cover letter explaining that you're new in town and therefore don't have all the required paperwork. At the end of the day, money talks. If you can show you're solvent, there should be no problem. Unless the market where you are is exceptionally tight. In which case offering slightly more than the asking price will always turn heads.

Thank you for that, we'll put a small pack together with evidence etc. I don't think it's ultra competitive here (north side of Brisbane, but further north than most commuters want to be) but the best houses and deals can go quickly so we want to give it our best shot!

You could ask your current landlord if he would be a referee and if he would also write you a reference.

You could swap your UK licence for a QLD one, even if your here on a 457, you will find ID is asked for a lot and a driving licence is the simplest way to prove it. Copies of your passports, healthy bank account, paid up UK bills, Birth certs etc will all give you points.

More than anything and as mentioned above a cover letter explaining your new to the country etc etc ,hence lack of Australian paperwork.

Hope this helps

Cal x

I don't think it's ultra competitive here (north side of Brisbane, but further north than most commuters want to be) but the best houses and deals can go quickly so we want to give it our best shot!

You'd be surprised how far people commute. But you're right; if you're not planning to live near the CBD, things are a bit easier. Without wanting to turn this into another "Which suburb is the best" thread, I'd plan to have a drive round a few candidate suburbs to get a feel. Then, of course, your Saturday mornings will be taken up with viewings. I'd recommend bringing photocopies of your docs with you. It won't mean you'll avoid having to fill out the REA forms, but at least they have something tangible to take away.

And I would mention in your letter that the firm is paying your lodging right now. It seems that they value your presence here, a.k.a. It's a permanent gig.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we've just secured a rental in Moggill. Our temp accommodation landlady was happy for us to use her address as a reference and to give her details. We also put together a pack which included our mortgage statements back home (Renting UK house out) to prove regular payments. I also asked our UK letting agent for an email to prove we are renting our property. The biggest help is a payslip, which you can obviously supply. We supplied a few references from home too.

We opened an account with Bankwest (it was the convenience, they open saturdays and sundays) they were also happy to open our account using our temp accommodation address.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Archived