Spouse visa to apply in the UK or once in OZ????

SallyKay

Hi all,

We are due to go out to Australia next September to try it for one year to see if we like it. We are selling our house as we had planned to move anyway and want to have the money in our pockets so that in a year if we want to stay we can just buy without having to worry about selling our place back home. My husband is Australian and both my kids are registered Australian citizens it's just me left to sort my Spouse Visa. I have read the wait is around 9 months and I just wondered whether you'd recommend that I apply here or go out on a visitor visa next September and just apply out there? Which way is easiest and is one quicker than the other? I know that where you apply is where you need to be when the Visa is granted. We have so much to sort out on the lead up to next September I'd rather do it out in Australia really but if it's easier done here then I'll do it here and also my concern would be that if it did take longer than 9 months to be granted my visitor visa may have run out if i apply out there so what would happen then? I'm assuming I'd have to return to the UK?! I think I'm almost answering my own question here! Do it in the UK! Lol! Anyone that has done either, any advice would be really appreciated? Thank you!

If you apply once you are out there then you can get a bridging visa I believe that allows you to work etc. However, if you're not going for another 12 months, I'm not sure why you aren't just applying now for it, as you have plenty of time. Also, once you are there, I don't know how much Bridging Visas cost but I would have thought (and you need to check this) it will cost you more ultimately. The wait time for onshore applications is also a lot longer, about 15 months I think. This again can be checked on the DIAC website.

There is a significant difference in the application fees for offshore and onshore applicants, so if you apply now you will save some money. Also, the processing times in Australia are more than 12 months, I think about 18 months at the moment (though I am not 100% sure), so you really are far better off applying from the UK.

Also, the officers at the High Commission here in London are lovely.

You have plenty if time to apply now, CO request medicals about 3 months after lodging apication so you would have about 6 months to make first entry. Applying offshore is a lot cheaper than applying onshore. It's always a risk going over on visitors visa being turned away for not being a genuine visitor.

Offshore is likely easier and quicker - you should be granted PR staight away.

Offshore quicker and cheaper. It currently takes around 8 months, so maybe wait a month or two then apply. Don't cut it too tight...there has a been a change in Government and policy/rules/fees/processing times oculd all change drastically.

I fyou wait till you get there, it will cost you more money, take longer, and you run the risk of the rules or fees changing between now and then.

I'd be looking to send your application in to London int he next couple of months...

Offshore. No brainer in my book if you have a year before you plan to leave. You can pull all the supporting evidence together and so on within 3 months easily. I did. And then apply in plenty of time to allow for the 9 month limit on the (current) timeframe so you have time at the other end.

Get your application in by the start of December and you should all being well have it granted by next September.

Start off with having a proper read of the partner application PDF (we printed it off and both went through it and highlighted the parts relevant to the application for either of us. Then got to work on picking out supporting evidence like bills, bank statements etc to cover the timeframe of our being a couple and all the rest fell in to place. It really isn't actually that difficult to get it sorted, you just need to be organised, have a checklist and work to it and make sure you submit all the required things at time of application. And then once you have a CO they will tell you when to take medical and provide a police check.

Archived