AHPRA- is a diploma accepted?

flipflop00

Hi there,

I qualified last year with a normal Diploma in nursing from the University of Brighton. It was a 3 year course. I have about 9 months experience. Can anyone please tell me if my Diploma is accepted by AHPRA please? Because when i check the 'Criteria three' on the AHPRA website is says degree only and it has me worried. Any help would be appreciated.

THanks

Yes it is :) a UK nursing diploma meets the standards set by Ahpra.

Hi Kel87,

thanks for that, huge relief. Because when I read the AHPRA website it seems like they only accept Degree. Are you a UK Diploma nurse in Australia now? When would you recommend that I apply to AHPRA please - as I say I have 9 months experience as an orthopeadic scrub nurse. Do I need to have 2 years experience in the UK first or can I apply sooner please?

THanks

Hi there. I have just completed my APHRA form and sent it off. I had my skills assessed by ANMAC and they forwarded on my docs to APHRA for me. I have a diploma and as far as I know it's accepted as a degree by Australia as its a 3 year course. When I completed the form though it did ask for 5 years experience which I haven't quite got (qualified sept 2008) but I'm hoping that will be ok. If you have any queries just e-mail them. I have and they got back to me the next day.

Debs

Hi Kel87,

thanks for that, huge relief. Because when I read the AHPRA website it seems like they only accept Degree. Are you a UK Diploma nurse in Australia now? When would you recommend that I apply to AHPRA please - as I say I have 9 months experience as an orthopeadic scrub nurse. Do I need to have 2 years experience in the UK first or can I apply sooner please?

THanks

You need only 3 months experience in order to apply to APHRA but you also need to have your skills assessed with ANMAC which is part of the criteria for the purpose of applying for visa. ANMAC is currently taking about 16 weeks you can apply to both at the same time to save time or have ANMAC forward docs to APHRA on completion. From what i have researched most places seem to like it when you have 2 years experience but does not mean you cant get jobs though! By the time all is sorted you will be near to 18 months anyway. Good luck x

You need only 3 months experience in order to apply to APHRA but you also need to have your skills assessed with ANMAC which is part of the criteria for the purpose of applying for visa. ANMAC is currently taking about 16 weeks you can apply to both at the same time to save time or have ANMAC forward docs to APHRA on completion. From what i have researched most places seem to like it when you have 2 years experience but does not mean you cant get jobs though! By the time all is sorted you will be near to 18 months anyway. Good luck x

I think you only have to do ANMAC for certain visas. Don't think you have to do it for a 457. Not sure about other visas though.

Flipflop what visas are you applying under?

Debs

I think you only have to do ANMAC for certain visas. Don't think you have to do it for a 457. Not sure about other visas though.

Flipflop what visas are you applying under?

Debs

ooooo really i never knew that, thats strange only for 457 and not pr...........dam they like to milk us going down the pr route lol

ooooo really i never knew that, thats strange only for 457 and not pr...........dam they like to milk us going down the pr route lol

I went to a seminar and a lady from Tasmania was there recruiting nurses for healthcare. She told me to have a 457 visa I just had to apply for APHRA and they would sort the rest. She was recruiting for all over Australia. She told me the pit falls like having to pay for healthcare and in some states education and the possibility of being sent home if it didn't work out so I decided to do pr.

Dont know about other visas though. Pr is worth the initial outlay I think. Well I hope it is anyway lol.

Debs

I went to a seminar and a lady from Tasmania was there recruiting nurses for healthcare. She told me to have a 457 visa I just had to apply for APHRA and they would sort the rest. She was recruiting for all over Australia. She told me the pit falls like having to pay for healthcare and in some states education and the possibility of being sent home if it didn't work out so I decided to do pr.

Dont know about other visas though. Pr is worth the initial outlay I think. Well I hope it is anyway lol.

Debs

i think your right less restrictions and less risk, and seeing many peoples issues with the 457 im hoping to get pr............if i dont then the 457 will then look inviting lol x

Hi there,

thanks for your comments (and its a huge relief that the Diploma is accepted. Hopefully it still will be when I apply). I have booked a IELTS test for the end of this month (although - I can't say I am looking forward to it). From what I understand in order to progress a PR visa I need to apply through ANMAC (hence the IELTS). PR has obvious benefits (such as, choosing where I want to work) instead of being tied to a specific employer with a 457. However, the 457 seems alot more straight forward to my liking. Does anyone have any tips, views or insights into any of this - as it would be helpful. As I say I have 9 months experience so far and hopfuly will apply to AHPRA in may (when I have 18 months experience) -so that by the time I hopefully have the AHPRA registration I will then have the required 2 years experience. Do you think if I applied to AHPRA sooner an Australian hospital might take me on with less experience maybe? And any advice for the IELTS exam would be most appreciated. Thanks.

You only need to do IELTS if you're going down the pr route. If you're not going down that route then you just have to provide evidence that you have been taught in an English speaking school. If you are doing the pr route then you have to do the IELTS academic exam (not the general). I think it's £135 for the test. Takes pretty much a whole day and you have to cover listening, reading, speaking and writing. For your skills assessment with ANMAC you need to get 7 or above in each category. They will not accept an overall score. I practised with http://www.ielts-exam.net but there are loads of free tests online if you google it.

Pr route - 189 visa gives you the freedom to work anywhere in Australia. 190 is state sponsored so you have to choose a state that is in need of nurses and live and work in that state for 2 years. Then you can move anywhere in Australia that you want to. For the initial 2 years you can work anywhere within that state. It costs a lot more to go down the pr route but the added security is worth it. You have to have your skills assessed and have to do IELTS.

temp route - if you Re sponsored by a hospital or healthcare provider then you have to work for them for a certain length of time. If it doesn't work out you have to find another sponsor within 90 days or go home. You have to pay for your healthcare and (in some states) your children's education (if you have any). This route is a quicker and cheaper way to get to Australia. It is only a 4 year visa so if you wanted to stay you would have to apply for a pr visa anyway. Can't comment on other visas available as I only know about the ones I have mentioned.

Hope this helps fliflop.

Debs

Thanks Travelchic for the information,

Obviously PR would be better - as you say - more security and freedom.

I have booked to do the academic IELTS exam at the end of the month. I am not looking forward to it. If it does not work out I will try the temporary 457 visa route.

If I was in Oz working with an employer on a 457 visa and I wanted to apply for PR - do you know if I would then have to take the IELTS anyway?

I have lived in England all my life and was trained here, but the IELTS seems daunting. Especially the writing part, because I have reviewed pass 7 essays for Task1 and 2 - and to produce something of that high calibre in just under an hour is impressive (with no mistakes, perfect grammer and structure).

I take your point about a 457 visa not working out (for whatever reason): as the job might not work out, etc - which is daunting to say the least. But as I do not have any ties I would feel like I would have nothing to loose and try it. Especially as it might be an opportunity.

Would you recommend any particular place to work in Oz? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Thanks Travelchic for the information,

Obviously PR would be better - as you say - more security and freedom.

I have booked to do the academic IELTS exam at the end of the month. I am not looking forward to it. If it does not work out I will try the temporary 457 visa route.

If I was in Oz working with an employer on a 457 visa and I wanted to apply for PR - do you know if I would then have to take the IELTS anyway?

I have lived in England all my life and was trained here, but the IELTS seems daunting. Especially the writing part, because I have reviewed pass 7 essays for Task1 and 2 - and to produce something of that high calibre in just under an hour is impressive (with no mistakes, perfect grammer and structure).

I take your point about a 457 visa not working out (for whatever reason): as the job might not work out, etc - which is daunting to say the least. But as I do not have any ties I would feel like I would have nothing to loose and try it. Especially as it might be an opportunity.

Would you recommend any particular place to work in Oz? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks[/

If you apply to ANMAC for a skills assessment whilst already practising in Australia then you do a modified assessment which doesn't include having to do IELTS. Have a look on ANMAC's FAQ's on http://www.anmac.org.au/faqs. There's loads of info on there.

Can't help you on any particular place to work ask have never been to Australia. I am going as a single parent with my 6 year old son. My agent is just in the middle of submitting my EOI and SS for WA and then it's the biggy. Once I've got the visa, we'll sell up and move lol.

Hope we both like it ha ha

Debs

Archived