Port Kennedy

Guest julieandsteve

Guest julieandsteve

Hi we are moving to Perth in 7 weeks time and have looked at renting in Port Kennedy. We have 2 young children (5) and (17months). We would just like to know if there is plenty to do here and if it is a nice area. We heard its better to go NOR but I think my husband might find his kind of work in Rockingham. Can anyone give us some info please ?

:jiggy::yes::wubclub:

• 1 month later...
Guest emi-great

Port Kennedy is a suburb of the city of Rockingham & the area is situated to the South of Rockingham it is close to the beach & has reasonable amenities. There are a lot of young couples with younger children in the area & you will find lots of lovely parks, the beaches are clean & most people seem to settle well because there are a lot of English families here.

You dont say what your hubby does for a living so I dont know if he will find work but there seems to be work for most people.

Other suburbs close to Port Kennedy are Warnbro, Waikiki, Secret Harbour.

Rentals are a bit harder to come by than they once were but if you allow yourself a week or two I am sure you will find something to suit you.

Eve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joksand
Hi we are moving to Perth in 7 weeks time and have looked at renting in Port Kennedy. We have 2 young children (5) and (17months). We would just like to know if there is plenty to do here and if it is a nice area. We heard its better to go NOR but I think my husband might find his kind of work in Rockingham. Can anyone give us some info please ?

:jiggy::yes::wubclub:

Hi

Wish I'd seen your post before - you're probably on your way, if you're not already here!

We've been living in Port Kennedy since January this year. At the moment we're renting, but we've just put an offer in on a place and should be moving within the next couple of months.

On the whole the area is very nice. There are plenty of parks for the kids, you're close to shops, beaches, public transport and major roads so it's easy to get about. There's plenty of schools in the area plus playgroups, sports centres, pools etc. The only downside is the graffitti problem, which is the same everywhere in Perth from what I understand, and the 'boy-racers' who come out after dark and leave skid marks all over the roads (another Perth-wide problem) Neither problem has really affected us and it's certainly no worse that what we'd been used to in the UK, but it's not nice to see and shocked me a bit when we first arrived. The only other downside of PK that I can see, in my personal opinion, is that there's no 'centre' or 'heart' of the area. It's a suburb like so many that's grown very quickly over the last 10 years - I suppose a feeling of 'community' takes time to grow, plus we're still pretty new to the area so it may be just my perspective. People are generally very friendly and there are loads of Poms all in the same situation as us.

Let me know if you do settle in PK - we could meet up if you like. I've got 2 boys, age 6 and 3, so can give you advice on stuff to keep the little people occupied!

What does your OH do by the way?

All the best,

Jo

Houses in Port Kennedy are pretty reasonably priced too.

Archived