Medicare help needed please!

nikkitee

Hi everyone!

So I leave for Australia in a couple of weeks on a working holiday but my circumstances are a bit different. I am an australian citizen because my dad was born there so I am travelling on my Oz passport instead of a WHV. So I was wondering if this affects my ability to use medicare? When I looked online it says you need your passport and a valid visa so any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

It only affects your ability to use Medicare in that you have full rights to the full service as it were. You will need to register with them though - just go in to the nearest Medicare office with your Aussie passport and register. They shouldn't be thrown by the fact that you are a citizen that isn't already registered. My kids are citizens by decent and we were able to register them with their Aussie passports with no trouble at all.

Just be prepared ot have to fill in a lot of paperwork. Hubby and Son are both Aus Citizens (H by birth, Son by descent), and I am on a spouse visa. We had to fill in more paperwork for Hubby then either of the rest of us. They wanted to make sure he wasn't planning to use the system and then leg it back to the UK.

Archived