Heat in shipping container-advice please!

LouDYorkie

Hi, might sound a silly question but here goes....

We have a lot of make-up, skincare, perfumes, aftershaves, candles etc etc that we were planning on bringing to Australia which won't fit in our suitcases.

If we put it in the container, will it all be ruined on the way?

Does anyone have experience of things that have gone-off, melted, been un-useable on arrival??

Thanks in advance

Lou :)

Aerosols and candles shouldn't be put in the container. The candles will melt and unless they are irreplaceable then I think you should leave them behind.

Hmm, so if the candles will melt, so would lipsticks and other items like that :(

Thanks for the reply, I'm wondering now whether the liquids will be okay...

Hi, might sound a silly question but here goes....

We have a lot of make-up, skincare, perfumes, aftershaves, candles etc etc that we were planning on bringing to Australia which won't fit in our suitcases.

If we put it in the container, will it all be ruined on the way?

Does anyone have experience of things that have gone-off, melted, been un-useable on arrival??

Thanks in advance

Lou :)

Candles- isn't beeswax prohibited?

As for the rest I may be corrected but would imagine most of the stuff has made the trip to the uk in containers at some point in its life and if everything perished so easily on the voyage, china would be out of business. not sent our stuff yet, will let you know when it gets there!

Lipsticks have different ingredients in them. They aren't just made of wax. Vaseline will also melt so take care as that will be messy. Liquids should be fine but not aerosols. Lip salve will probably melt too. You also need to consider that anything that has been opened in the way of creams or shampoos etc, could potentially go mouldy/grow mould due to high humidity as the ship sails through areas of high humidity.

I'm checking the candles now...don't think they are beeswax but possibly better not to bring them.

I never knew shampoo, body lotion etc could go mouldy, interesting!

So, full bottles only and nothing meltable... Sounds like a plan!

Thanks both!

:)

Mould will grow anywhere on anything if the conditions are right and if you've used something, there only needs to be a tiny bit of the cream/shampoo/conditioner/whatever on the lid, or outside, a slight smearing and there is the potential for mould to grow. I wouldn't take the candles, unless they are particularly significant (the ones that were used for your wedding etc.) as candles will melt and it will be messy for you to clean up. As will exploding aerosols. Also consider, that in high temperatures, liquid can evaporate and although they will be contained within a bottle (such as perfume for instance) will the evaporated liquid be as potent as the original eau de toilette/parfum was. Of course, I may just be over thinking this..........

Aha, as a last thought, don't ship your wooden utensils, wooden utensil holders, wooden chopping board, wooden kitchen roll holder etc. and make sure (which I'm sure you would anyway) that everything is extremely clean and clear of grease etc.

Aha, as a last thought, don't ship your wooden utensils, wooden utensil holders, wooden chopping board, wooden kitchen roll holder etc. and make sure (which I'm sure you would anyway) that everything is extremely clean and clear of grease etc.

Why not the wooden utensils? I'm not planning on taking any wooden kitchen items but all our lounge furniture is wood so wondered what the reason was and if it's relevant to the furniture too?

So many rules!!

I understand why they have them but it's making my life difficult at the minute! :P

Why not the wooden utensils? I'm not planning on taking any wooden kitchen items but all our lounge furniture is wood so wondered what the reason was and if it's relevant to the furniture too?

So many rules!!

I understand why they have them but it's making my life difficult at the minute! :P

Treated wood is fine, so the lounge furniture will be fine as it's been polished, waxed or treated in some way, but generally, wooden spoons that you use for cooking and rolling pins etc, haven't necessarily been through any treatment, which is why they can discolour etc., and the Aussies are very particular about making sure that insects aren't accidentally introduced. On the AQIS forms, make sure that you note that anything wood has been treated, so lounge furniture stained and waxed etc., and you'll be fine x

Archived