Childcare/schools in Point Cook

Victoriadownunder

Hi,

We're a family of three moving out to Point Cook in October and having now started looking into childcare to enable me to work part-time whilst my husband is working full time, I am in a bit of a state of confusion/panic. Having contacted a couple of places, I am being told that we need to be put on waiting lists and need to pay to be on such. We only have accommodation booked for 4 weeks in Hoppers Crossing so at the moment, we're not defined by where we live. However I am keen to get my 2 year old's name down somewhere, but can anyone recommend which care centres are the best in the area. My commute to work will involve drop off and then travelling onto Williams Landing train station. Has anyone got any recommendations?

And as we're moving out soon and want to settle in a home that we don't want to move from for a couple of years (rental), I am looking for the best school area to be in as her name will need to be put down. Has anyone got any recommendations/opinions?

many thanks,

Hi,

We're a family of three moving out to Point Cook in October and having now started looking into childcare to enable me to work part-time whilst my husband is working full time, I am in a bit of a state of confusion/panic. Having contacted a couple of places, I am being told that we need to be put on waiting lists and need to pay to be on such. We only have accommodation booked for 4 weeks in Hoppers Crossing so at the moment, we're not defined by where we live. However I am keen to get my 2 year old's name down somewhere, but can anyone recommend which care centres are the best in the area. My commute to work will involve drop off and then travelling onto Williams Landing train station. Has anyone got any recommendations?

And as we're moving out soon and want to settle in a home that we don't want to move from for a couple of years (rental), I am looking for the best school area to be in as her name will need to be put down. Has anyone got any recommendations/opinions?

many thanks,

Are you set on living in Point Cook? You can check out schools and their results on the myschools website http://www.myschool.edu.au where you can type in Point Cook and see what comes up. When we first moved we had a look at Point Cook / Sanctuary Lakes and although it is quite new and rentals are cheap I could not find one school I liked.

We settled in Outer Eastern Melbourne which is not that expensive yet and here there are loads of good public and private schools to choose from as well as childcare centers by the dozen as it is a more established, older area.

But if you have decided on Point Cook maybe someone else can assist you.

Hi,

many thanks,

Schools are zoned so it depends what part of PC you move to, we are lucky as we are in the new Alamanda K9 zone so our kids will go there (daughter goes to Kindie there at the moment). Brand new school (they are still building it) and the head teacher is supposed to be a legend in the Victoria education system (she used to run Seabrook which is another good school). Judging by the feedback from neighbors who's kids go to the school it's like going to a private school but at a public school price. I've just seen the uniform costs for next year and believe me you would think they were going to private school with what we are going to pay out at Xmas.

Regarding child care there are waiting lists but places do become available now and again for the popular centres, another option may to arrange day care with a registered child carer who works from home.

Also be prepared to be paying at least $8.50 per hour for a home based child carer and more for place like Kids Resort (Sanctuary Lakes).

Hope that helps

Guest guest48800
Schools are zoned so it depends what part of PC you move to, we are lucky as we are in the new Alamanda K9 zone so our kids will go there (daughter goes to Kindie there at the moment). Brand new school (they are still building it) and the head teacher is supposed to be a legend in the Victoria education system (she used to run Seabrook which is another good school). Judging by the feedback from neighbors who's kids go to the school it's like going to a private school but at a public school price. I've just seen the uniform costs for next year and believe me you would think they were going to private school with what we are going to pay out at Xmas.

Regarding child care there are waiting lists but places do become available now and again for the popular centres, another option may to arrange day care with a registered child carer who works from home.

Also be prepared to be paying at least $8.50 per hour for a home based child carer and more for place like Kids Resort (Sanctuary Lakes).

Hope that helps

Hello Gwolst77,

pi've been trying to find a contact email address for Alamanda K9 as would like to request a copy of zone map, would you happen to have one at all please?

am probably being a bit of an Internet clown but can't find one for the life of me!

no worries, just found their telephone number and gave them a call :).

Don't move to point smuck, it's rubbish....

May look good on realestate.com.au i.e. like you have been watching on 'wanted down under' or what-ever rubbish is on over there these days - but it aint.

Look at;

- Williamstown

- Altona (not altona north)

- Seddon

- Yarraville

- Kingsville (not the footscray end)

I promise, cross my heart and hope to die - you'll be better off relocating to the above. If you don't take a blind bit of notice then at least come back in 10 months for an update. I'll bet my next AUD$12.50 pint you'll agree.....

Ta,

surfndirt

Guest guest48800
Don't move to point smuck, it's rubbish....

May look good on realestate.com.au i.e. like you have been watching on 'wanted down under' or what-ever rubbish is on over there these days - but it aint.

Look at;

- Williamstown

- Altona (not altona north)

- Seddon

- Yarraville

- Kingsville (not the footscray end)

I promise, cross my heart and hope to die - you'll be better off relocating to the above. If you don't take a blind bit of notice then at least come back in 10 months for an update. I'll bet my next AUD$12.50 pint you'll agree.....

Ta,

surfndirt

We visited last year, scoped out the area, Altona/Seaholme would be our first choice, followed by bottom end of Altona Meadows then Point Cook....primary schools have played heavily in our choice.

However....One mans sh!te hole might be another mans heaven, whilst Point Cook isn't our idea of heaven, certainly wouldn't say it's a hole either, and we do know a few people who live there so have their first hand experience to go by.

Me personally, I did not like Williamstown (controversial I know!) whilst OH really liked it. I can see the bonuses of the place, and could pop in for a walk round the shops and a coffee occasionally, but overall made me feel uncomfortable, hemmed in, so couldn't live there. Maybe it could grow on me in time....but the rental prices certainly won't and that is a big factor for a lot of people hence why they choose Point Cook etc.

We live in Point Cook and have found it a lovely place to live.

I hope this link helps http://maps.google.com.au/maps?client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&q=alamanda+k+9+college&fb=1&gl=au&hq=alamanda+k+9+college&cid=0,0,11160281405336969838&ei=TicfUtjaDquaiAe33oDoDw&ved=0CI4BEPwSMAs I know it doesn't highlight the exact catchment are for Alamanda K9 but that area will definitely include these surrounding streets.

Whilst I understand people have their preferences over areas, my hubby is an energency call taker and says he takes more calls to Williamstown and the Altona areas than he does to PC.

• 1 month later...

I agree Point Cook is a great place to live and often find detractors haven't never lived here.Schools are zoned and if you are going to a state school you don't need to put your name down now.They are though zoned.It has a great community feel in the area and the facilities are getting better all the time.

Don't get yourself in a panic, you will probably have to go on a waiting list, but if you are just looking for part time work, it can take forever to find something, and you will probably have a place by then. There is work about but I found it really hard to get something with the same days each week to fit in with daycare, either that or they wanted you in every day for 4 hours which I didn't want to do either, no good for childcare most places make you pay a full day however many hours they are in, and it wasn't worth going to the travel to the city.

Just found these Statistics on the Victoria site with Point Cook coming top as a more desirable place to live than Williamstown,Altona etc.Williamstown figure was 1061.6:daydreaming:

[TABLE=class: cms_table_idc-entity-table cms_table_table-condensed cms_table_table]

[TR=class: cms_table_table-row cms_table_odd cms_table_row-visible]

[TD=class: cms_table_nvarchar]Heathdale[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_money]874.6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: cms_table_table-row cms_table_even cms_table_row-visible]

[TD=class: cms_table_nvarchar]Manorvale[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_money]939.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: cms_table_table-row cms_table_odd cms_table_row-visible]

[TD=class: cms_table_nvarchar]Woodville[/TD]

[TD=class: cms_table_money]954.8[/TD]

[/TR]