Moving to Canberra!

NR77

I still have UK accounts with HSBC, with my Canberra address on them. I have no problem using my credit card here, either, though I try not to. But I do use the UK acccount (as others do) to online shop from the UK! I also use various family members as postal addresses if necessary... Amazon, for example... and then I can transfer them postage money easily from my UK account :) I thought about transferring it since there's HSBC here but I've never needed to as yet.

I still have UK accounts with HSBC, with my Canberra address on them. I have no problem using my credit card here, either, though I try not to. But I do use the UK acccount (as others do) to online shop from the UK! I also use various family members as postal addresses if necessary... Amazon, for example... and then I can transfer them postage money easily from my UK account :) I thought about transferring it since there's HSBC here but I've never needed to as yet.

Don't know if that would be achievable with a LLoyds or Halifax account. HSBC is pretty global but found it catering to businesses rather than individuals.

• 3 weeks later...
we've got excellent broadband, with iinet, but it does depend where you are and what services you can get. We're on their 'NakedDSL' and also have Fetch TV. our phone is VOIP through their system and we get cheap calls back home as well. They've always been really good, we've had excellent customer service, so I do recommend them if you can get them.

I agree with Neal - get a medicare card asap, get a driving license as soon as you have a fixed address (you'll need to take in the tenancy agreement), and get a TFN (you can walk into the ATO office in civic and do it in 5 minutes, they'll post it out to whatever address you provide).

And, yes, Canberra's a great place to live :) if you have somewhere short term to stay for a few weeks it's worth using that time to explore both sides as I find there is a very different feel between the north and the south, as well as investigating schools, childcare etc, so that you can see what will suit you best.

Be prepared to apply for longer-term rental places on the spot as you see them (I heard people say it's worth making up an application pack with references, bank info to prove you have the income if you don't yet have jobs, that sort of thing - we did that, and it also meant I usually had the info available for filling out applications as needed). Competition is often fierce and if you can get to weekday viewings you're likely to be a lot less crowded out. Some of the Saturday viewings we went to would get 20-30 couples in, and maybe 10 of those would apply for the house at the viewing. Admittedly we were looking in February when the rental market tends to be at its busiest!

Hi we just got our Visa grant and are planning to make our move in Feb. I wanted some information.

1. What exactly does an "Application Pack" contain and to whom would we provide that pack?

2. I have an indian driving license, do you know if i can use it in Canberra?

3. When you say permanent address, i am assuming the address to be in Canberra, right?

4. Does anyone have a list of essential things to do (that can be done offshore) before we move to Canberra?

Appreciate anyone's response to the above.

Hi - our 'application pack' included things like references from previous landlords overseas, bank account summary to prove we had plenty of money saved (as only one of us had a job while we were looking for rentals - if you both have jobs then you wouldn't need that), photocopies of ID (passport/driving license) ready prepped so that we could fill out the forms and give them enough information to back up that we were suitable applicants for renting the house.

Driving license: http://www.rego.act.gov.au/licensing/licencemoveact.htm info here. I can't see india on the exempt list so I would assume you'll need to take their test. You have 3 months to get an ACT license when you get here. Yes, by fixed address I mean a Canberra address - we had to take in our lease agreement. Canberra Connect office will be able to tell you more :)

Essential things before you move: organise somewhere to stay for a minimum of 3 weeks and potentially 4-6 while you decide where to live and look for a longer-term rental. Make sure you can access your money easily, however you think is best (if you want to open a bank account from overseas and transfer some into it there are several banks that may let you. I don't know much about that though). If you have a complicated medical history then probably worth seeing if you can get a copy of the record. We have also found it helpful to get paper visas put into the passport as even though they're electronic and on the system people are always asking to see the visa. Other people may have other ideas :)