Couple that's final made the decision to move to Oz. Is it too late though?!

Stevieb1483

What's the LE & LS licenses for?

LE is Excavator

LS is Loader Skid Steer (Bobcat)

Sounds like you know your stuff amigo. But to be fair sounds exactly like the UK and I appreciate how stupid I would look pullin out some photos, but at the end of the day all my point was I'm a drainer in the UK.. And all I wanted to know was how to get my skills recognised. And your saying its a stupid idea to just land with a WHV an try to get assessed or sponsored, but yet in the next breathe I'm being told I wouldn't be able to get a sponsorship or anything whilst I'm in the UK which makes perfect sense. I wouldn't hire someone who's half a world away. When I've got a job there joe ill buy you a skooner ;)

If you did get a job on a WHV it probably wouldn't be operating to begin with as you would be classed as an unlicensed noob, employer will probably hire you as a laborer for a couple of months and see how go at operating a shovel or jack hammer. Then if he is generous he might supervise you on the excavator to build up your Logbook hours, once you have enough hours you can do your theory test & Practical test. Theory is a about a one hour test and consists of working out SWL, Loading/Slinging points, min breaking chain diameter, safe min cable diameters against load ...plus signage, safe work all that stuff. Then you need to do the practical assessment, the assessor either come to your place of work and they will assess you in doing a few simple task takes about an hour or if the boss is not happy about doing the assessment in his time then you can hire an excavator from an RTO for the day to do the assessment.

Once you have all the required licences you can work unsupervised, if the boss likes your work then he might consider sponsoring you.

Just be mindful the new rules for sponsoring has came into effect 1st July its going cost employers far more money than previously to sponsor... a lot more checks, a lot more rules. Why would the employer just not employ the popular Kiwi/Maori/Tongan operators that don't need sponsoring as they already have a visa to work in Australia.

PS I didn't say it was a stupid Idea to come to Australia on a WHV and get your skills assessed, I just highlighted the difficulties of succeeding through sponsorship and that it's not was easy as buying a hard hat and knocking on doors and getting sponsored as an operator.

Archived