Getting tourist visa and traveling to OZ while Subclass 190 already lodged, anyone done it?

Maggie2012

Hi All,

We are 3 months into our Subclass 190 application and we were thinking that maybe we should go ahead and try to get/travel on a tourist visa to OZ and arrange things for ourselves, getting a jump start on the process.

You need to know that we are ready to leave to OZ as soon as our visa is granted so this way we'd be able to catch up with friends and family and thoroughly look into where to stay.

Has anyone done anything similar? How do you validate your visa in OZ if you're there already? Would your status automatically change from a visitor to a PR? Any thoughts?

Hi All,

We are 3 months into our Subclass 190 application and we were thinking that maybe we should go ahead and try to get/travel on a tourist visa to OZ and arrange things for ourselves, getting a jump start on the process.

You need to know that we are ready to leave to OZ as soon as our visa is granted so this way we'd be able to catch up with friends and family and thoroughly look into where to stay.

Has anyone done anything similar? How do you validate your visa in OZ if you're there already? Would your status automatically change from a visitor to a PR? Any thoughts?

I am not sure but this is something I am hoping to do also but mine will hopefully be 189 and followed up by WHV.

My agent said its possible to do this but have not asked regarding formalities/

Have you got a case officer yet?

AFAIK you have to be off shore for your visa grant. Its an off shore visa application, so off shore for grant.

I had to notify my CO I intended to travel to Aus on a tourist visa and then ensure they are able to contact me to arrange to go offshore for the actual grant, 3 working days in my case (not a 190 visa). Then re enter Aus and my visa is activated.

hmm...sound a bit complicated. We had read nowhere where it said that you have to notify your CO if you want to travel or there seem to be nothing stating that you couldn't visit (in our case go back) to OZ as a visitor while the offshore visa is processed. So I assume NZ would be considered as off shore if we were forced to step out of the country for a few days?

hmm...sound a bit complicated. We had read nowhere where it said that you have to notify your CO if you want to travel or there seem to be nothing stating that you couldn't visit (in our case go back) to OZ as a visitor while the offshore visa is processed. So I assume NZ would be considered as off shore if we were forced to step out of the country for a few days?

Its not complicated at all really.

Your CO needs to know if you intend to travel to Aus before the visa is granted so they know to liase with you to arrange going off shore for it to be granted. It cannot be granted while you are still on shore in Aus that I know of. All those being granted a visa will have to go off shore for 3 working days. So out of Aus. NZ is fine to travel to. Its where lots go to as its the cheapest place to fly to from many places in Aus.

I just read up on the 190 and it says the following, under REPORT CHANGES http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-190/

The department needs to know, as soon as possible and in writing, about changes in circumstances that may affect the processing of your application such as:

• you get a new job

• you move to a new address

• you get a new passport

• you want to add or change the person authorised to act on your behalf in connection with the application

• a birth or death in your family (a newborn child can be added to an application after it has been lodged but before a decision has been made)

• you want to add a partner or dependent child to your application before a visa is granted

• you and/or your dependent family members intend to travel to and from Australia while the application is being processed.

Its not complicated at all really.

Your CO needs to know if you intend to travel to Aus before the visa is granted so they know to liase with you to arrange going off shore for it to be granted. It cannot be granted while you are still on shore in Aus that I know of. All those being granted a visa will have to go off shore for 3 working days. So out of Aus. NZ is fine to travel to. Its where lots go to as its the cheapest place to fly to from many places in Aus.

I just read up on the 190 and it says the following, under REPORT CHANGES http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-190/

The department needs to know, as soon as possible and in writing, about changes in circumstances that may affect the processing of your application such as:

• you get a new job

• you move to a new address

• you get a new passport

• you want to add or change the person authorised to act on your behalf in connection with the application

• a birth or death in your family (a newborn child can be added to an application after it has been lodged but before a decision has been made)

• you want to add a partner or dependent child to your application before a visa is granted

• you and/or your dependent family members intend to travel to and from Australia while the application is being processed.

thanks, somehow we didn't see that. In this case I am just wondering if it will complicate or infuence things or not (from the DIAC point of view)

thanks, somehow we didn't see that. In this case I am just wondering if it will complicate or infuence things or not (from the DIAC point of view)

I don't know.

I do know plenty of people do choose to head to Aus on a tourist visa while waiting for their visa to be granted. Of course, I don't know all the visa types or ins and outs of them all. The blurb doesn't say you can't travel to Aus, just you need to inform your CO (for reasons I gave above I would think). I doubt your decision to travel to Aus will have any influence on your visa from DIAC's POV but of course, that is just my train of thought.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone got successful to apply tourist visa whilst 190 is being processed. i lodged mine recently and haven't got CO yet. after lodging 190, i applied for tourist visa to visit my husband and my son, who are both australian PR (less than 2 years) but was refused. the co considered my reason to visit oz is not genuine. I am wondering if anyone can share the experiences of getting successful tourist visa application whilst 190 is being processed. I am so stressful and haven't known which type of visa should i apply. i want to enter oz asap as my son needs my help and love, he is just 2.5 year old.

has anyone got successful to apply tourist visa whilst 190 is being processed. i lodged mine recently and haven't got CO yet. after lodging 190, i applied for tourist visa to visit my husband and my son, who are both australian PR (less than 2 years) but was refused. the co considered my reason to visit oz is not genuine. I am wondering if anyone can share the experiences of getting successful tourist visa application whilst 190 is being processed. I am so stressful and haven't known which type of visa should i apply. i want to enter oz asap as my son needs my help and love, he is just 2.5 year old.

What country are you applying from?

I don't quite follow your process and don't know the ins and outs of your visa type. You lodged your 190 and then before even getting a CO you lodged a tourist visa application and it was declined?

Can I ask why if you are married and have a child you did not go on your husbands visa at the time he applied? Your case sounds a bit more complicated that the usual ones.

Yeah, at first glance it sounds harsh from DIAC to refuse your visa, but once again as snifter said, we do not know the personal circumstances. Also, how come your hubby and child has the 190 and you were not granted? As of now we had heard not much about getting a tourist visa whilst applying for 190.

Archived