Trade Qualification/Trade Certificate

Mikey1980

Hi all,

I am new to the site so if i have put this post in the wrong place, my apologies.

Having been in the Royal Air Force of 12 years I am now looking for a new challenge. I have found a job online in Australia and have applied for that position. My Qualifications that i hold which are relevant to the job are:

Advanced Modern Apprenticeship - Aviation

BTEC National Certificate - Engineering

NVQ National Vocational Qualification - Aircraft and Component Maintenance

The Area Manager of the company has quickly responded by asking the following questions:

"can you please confirm that you have a Trade Qualification that will be recognised in Australia? "

"From your CV you mention that you are an Engineer but here in Australia you must hold a trade certificate to allow you to work on the tools."

I have looked on the Australian Government website but i believe the link is down as i cannot gain access to it. I'm not sure what he is asking me. Can anyone help me please ....................................

Hi

A lot of UK and overseas qualifications dont actually mean much here. Most require converting to Australian equivalents which is probably why the first question was asked. You would have to look into each qualification and see what is required to convert your certs, for example a plumber who has been UK trained for years normally has to do some sort of college course to gain an equivalent cert here and to bring them up to 'Aussie spec' before they can work here..

Not sure if this of help to you, remember each state has varying rules which is also a pain in the butt for you, so make sure you research the correct State you'd be working in.

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/nerb/introduction-2

Cal x

I'm a fabricator by trade with NVQ3 certification. There is two ways I could have gone about getting my qualifications recognized. I could either go through Trades Recognition Australia which would probably take a couple of months but would be the cheaper option. Or do a recognized prior learning course once I land in Perth next month.

I've decided to go the recognized prior learning route as it will only take a couple of weeks, and with a couple of extra days training I should be able to get a level 4 AQF qualification. I presume it would be the same for your trade.

Archived