RNATT and rabies jab in 'reverse' order....

Hi Bob,

I'm hoping you can help with this, as one pet transport company has given me completely incorrect information, another one apparently cannot answer a simple question, and the DAFF is taking 2 weeks to reply to emails... :(

Our dog had her rabies vaccination (3 year one) last November for her pet passport, but has not had the antibody test yet. Obviously we will have to wait until 6 months (or rather 5 taking quarantine into account) after the RNATT before she can fly to Oz, but by that time her rabies vaccination will be over 12 months old. Is it ok to just get her booster done before she flies, or do we have to start the whole process from scratch: get another rabies vaccination done now, wait 4 weeks, then get the RNATT done?

Thanks very much in advance! :)

Well I phoned the DAFF in Canberra, so for anyone else whose dog is already vaccinated against rabies: you just get the blood test done and get a booster before they fly five months later ("No problem!"). :smile:

Dear Grecia

You did not even give me a chance to answer!

The only thing to add is that the levels of antibodies drop off fast in some dogs, so it may be worth getting your rabies vaccination done again and then blood sample after 2-3 weeks. The rabies blood sample is the expensive bit!

Anything else then give us a shout, no problems

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com

Sorry, Bob - I didn't know how often you came on here... :embarrassed:

Thanks for your reply. Time is of the essence, so we got her RNATT done yesterday. If she passes, we'll give you a call and get a quote. You seem way more clued up than the other pet shippers I dealt with.

If not, she'll have to be shipped over from my parents' place in France, which is a whole other story...

Dear Grecia

Phew! i was worried that you had called us and one of the team could not answer this question for you - which was worrying me as the team here should know this kind of thing.

FYI - we can fly her from France if you like (we would have to go via UK) but it can still be done.

Anything else you need let me know.