Recommendations Brisbane area ?

Tom Brody

I'm after some opinions on where you all recommend to live around the Brisbane area. I'm soon heading back there to live having lived there a few years back. I was out South West Brisbane then in a place called Sinnamon Park and it was very nice. Just wondering if anyone has any shout outs for some other nice locations. Just me an my Fiance, no kids, no dogs, but like the outdoor life Australia offers and being around 20 minutes from the City sounds good. Your valued opinions greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

If it's just the two of you and you can find a small place/apartment and don't want to be exactly in the city but have a pretty 'green' area, somewhere like Indooroopilly/Chapel Hill/Fig Tree Pocket will serve you very well. If you go a little further out - Jindalee/Mt Ommaney.

If you consider the first option though, Indooroopilly is under heavy redevelopment at the moment in the 'heart' of town. The shopping center and the area immediately adjacent to it is undergoing major redevelopment. Traffic etc is no better/worse in my opinion than before they started but I reckon there will be a hefty improvement to it after all the works are completed (due for completion in 2014... there isn't stages to the project as such which is kind of unusual for me, they seem to be just picking random spots in the mall and doing some floor tiles, then re-doing travelators/escalators and adding lifts in random spots, then another day you might come in and some pillars have been re-designed or some part of the ceiling has been re-done or a new shop has appeared!)

It'll be worth it when it's finished I reckon. I am looking forward to the final results. Seen all the photos of the mall from the 70s when it first opened and had a large fountain feature in the middle! So different to how it is now and even more different from how it's going to be by 2014! :biggrin:

I wouldn't want to live on the south side any more - just personally. Every time I hear of bad things happening, it's always the south side (Logan/general surrounding area). I'd go east/west or northern suburbs definitely, and go for ~7-10km out from the CBD. That should satisfy your ~20min commute + clean "outdoor" lifestyle criteria for 2 people (they're also good areas for families down the track if that's what you want too...)

Thanks Luke,

Yea I remember I always liked that Indooroopilly Mall, and used to call there a lot, and have a beer now and then in the Pig and Whistle or the bar next door, can't remember the name now. I liked it out in those areas you suggest, when I was there last there was a big development going on at Mount Ommaney Centre and it was great when finished and for sure the Indooroopilly one will be better as well. Cheers and thanks for the advice.

I'm not sure if there is a bar next door to Pig n Whistle anymore... there's Hotel Indooroopilly up the road. But PnW is the only pub/bar contained within the shopping center for now at least. Food court's undergone a lot of change in the past year. We've now got gourmet burgers and Mexican on top of the usual junk food!

The new "INDOOROOPILLY SHOPPING CENTRE" sign on the side is currently half finished. Last night it said just "INDOOR SHOPP" hehehehe :P

Archived