Cheltenham

Aussie Hopeful

Hi, we are moving to Melbourne in August and just looking at suburbs.

Could someone please give some feedback in what Cheltenham is like?

What is the train commute into the city like?

What is the area like? Friendly, rough, etc..

what is in the local area for families?

Does it have a high street?

Is it safe and what is it like to walk around?

Any general opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheltenham is ok, its good for the train as its one of the stations on the Frankston line where the express trains stop. So the commute is ok to the city. Has a huge shopping centre in Southland, not a bad little shopping strip, I go there a bit, nice coffee shops. Not that far from the beach. I prefer beach side of the Nepean Highway, but that said I prefer beach side all the way down from the city to Frankston.

It can be pricey depending where you want to be. Also if you want to walk to the station you will need to be on beach side and it will be pricey around there.

Mentone, Parkdale, Mordialloc are other good suburbs further down the line. Mordialloc is popular with new Brits as it has a good shopping centre.

Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Bon Beach, Carrum, Patterson Lakes are all on the Frankston line,.

Good schools around Cheltenham, cannot speak about state schools but there are a few good private schools.

If you join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this forum, there are people already living in the area, some who have moved over recently and others who have been here for a while. Its a very good forum and the people are using it to meet each other and help each other when they move over.

Good luck

Hi, we are moving to Melbourne in August and just looking at suburbs.

Could someone please give some feedback in what Cheltenham is like?

What is the train commute into the city like?

What is the area like? Friendly, rough, etc..

what is in the local area for families?

Does it have a high street?

Is it safe and what is it like to walk around?

Any general opinions would be much appreciated.

Hi we live in Mordialloc/Parkdale which is close to Cheltenham. Cheltenham itself is fine, on the express trains you are about 5 stops from the city, its very safe and family friendly. The only reason we go there though is to visit Southland which is one of the biggest shopping malls in Australia. I recommend you have a look at the areas petals has suggested above too.

BB

There is a big leisure centre in Cheltenham called Waves which has a nice gym, creche and swimming pool. My 2 year old has swimming lessons there and loves it.

What age are your kids? There are some nice big parks in the area and a soft play place which is popular called Kids Space. If you have transport you can also get to a huge number of places which are great for kids. We recently went to a great sports and aquatic centre www.gesac.com.au It very much depends on what you're into. I've been in Mentone for 18 months now and find new things to do all the time, especially as my little ones get that bit older and we look for different things to entertain them.

Beach is pretty close and as has been said, it's not far into the city. Prices tend to be cheaper than areas closer to the sea such as Mentone, Parkdale etc, but the beach is very accessible.

Cheltenham falls under Kingston Council so might be worth taking a look at the website to see what's on and nearby http://www.kingston.vic.gov.au/Home

I saw that in the paper - it is good and pretty reasonable in terms of cost. I also like the creche - I take my 2 there for 3 hours a week just so I can give the house a good scrub! My little girl comes home with all sorts that she's made and loves it there.

Archived