UK points on Australian Driving Licence

SydneyBlue

I went back home for a couple of weeks last month and was caught driving without insurance (stupid I know). 200 quid fine and 6 points.

So when they asked for my licence the only one I had on me was my Australian one. They took those details and I had to give my sisters address as the place I was staying.

I'm sure I have to pay the fine, but my question is - can I get away with the points?

1. If I don't give them my UK driving licence, will the points automatically transfer to my UK licence in their system (as they have my name)?
  2. If I manage to get away with just giving them my Australian licence, will I have to declare this when getting insurance in Australia.

I would prefer the points on my UK licence (if it has to be one of them) as am only likely to return once a year for the next three years.

Thanks!

They have no power to put points on your Australian licence. The points may be held on file in the UK, but will probably just vanish from the system. I don't believe you would have to declare the conviction to an Australian insurer unless they specifically ask.

Edited by Quinkla

I am not sure how you even have a UK licence, you are legally obliged to provide change of address details and cannot register an overseas address.Unless you changed the address on your driving licence to your sisters previously, I would forget you even have a UK licence for now. In all other respects face up to the consequences and I am pretty sure you will find they cannot apply 'points' to your Australian licence. Certainly points cannot be put on a British licence in the UK. Do not lie, if you are asked if you have a Britsh licence, tell them you did until you left the UK.Worst case scenario is they find out you have a UK licence with an out of date address and the fine for that is £1000!

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

Do not lie, if you are asked if you have a Britsh licence, tell them you did until you left the UK.Worst case scenario is they find out you have a UK licence with an out of date address and the fine for that is £1000!

They could not apply the penalty as their jurisdiction only extends to the UK. The moment you emigrate, the provisions of the driving licence legislation no longer cover you and you cannot be prosecuted for not having updated an address. The worst that could happen is they would cancel the UK licence.

The OP was driving in the UK on a valid Australian licence. Therefore no offence other than the lack of insurance was being committed. Having said that, wouldn't an Australian insurance policy cover third party insurance overseas?

Thanks for the replies. I have no intention of lying and am totally happy paying the 200 pound fine - I broke the law and deserve that. I'd just rather not take the points on my UK licence. They asked for the UK licence at the time and I said I only have my Australian one on me, which was the truth. My UK licence has the same address of the property I lived at when I left the UK, which is also where I will stay when I return for trips back there - so no law broke there and no need to get excited about a 1000 fine.

Nice thought on the Australian policy covering me third party, but I've just checked and that's a negative.