Do you have to go to parent/teacher meetings?

Victoriagal

Call me a wuss but really don't want to go for Miss sourpuss to tell me something I don't already know or that is not going to change anything. Already meet with vice principal once a month anyway.

Can I get away with not going? Junior is not bothered either way and dad has said count him out!

No, I was a teacher, no rules to say you have to go. Bear in mind though that the teacher will make assumptions about Junior's family that are probably very unfair!

I don't know the back story here and I assume there is one if you are meeting the VP each month, maybe send a note to the teacher saying as you are having regular meetings you don't believe there is a need to attend.

No, I was a teacher, no rules to say you have to go. Bear in mind though that the teacher will make assumptions about Junior's family that are probably very unfair!

I don't know the back story here and I assume there is one if you are meeting the VP each month, maybe send a note to the teacher saying as you are having regular meetings you don't believe there is a need to attend.

Oh after the one meeting we have had with her I would say she has many opinions about us - and most would be well wide but hey she doesn't know us and I'm fairly sure doesn't wish to so I'm happy to give a wide berth and see the year out. Junior has Aspergers and is being pulled out for extension work with the VP as well as doing extra Maths work all of which I think she disapproves of. By all accounts she is an expert at 'dealing' with children on the spectrum and did not require any input from us or his psychologist. So we meet with the VP who is a very charming man who appears to have our sons interests at heart and likes to update us on all the wonderful things he is capable of! Because of course we have no idea of our sons 'abilities' as he has a 'disability'. Sorry for the cynicism but I really struggle to work out what some teachers are thinking at times. Do they think that parents walk around in some sort of bubble totally disconnected from their children or are we all stupid and only teachers can possibly know about how to teach? My thoughts are that even in twenty plus years of teaching there is always room to learn more and that sometimes you do get a square peg and chances are the parents can pass on some useful insights into how that child works. But hey that's me as a parent speaking not as a teacher. I also appreciate what help the school is giving and appreciate some of the wonderfully understanding teachers he has had. I also appreciate limitations of the system, just not his current teacher - she is not flavour of the month/year/century....

Archived