190 Visa - Project/Program Administrator - Any help appreciated! :)

CLT03

Hi

I'm brand new to this and just starting the long process of applying for a 190 visa under the project administrator position in WA. I have an honours degree in management with marketing and have 2 years oz work experience and 2 years UK work experience. I am in the process of trying to get all the documentation together for vetassess and preparing for the IELTS exam.

Has anyone else gone down the project administrator route? Any tips on IELTS from anyone? I am hoping to achieve all 8s to get the 20 points.

Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Claire

Hi Claire,

Currently going for ICT PM route into VIC and have just completed the IELTS myself. IELTS shouldn't be too problematic if you are a native speaker, just do some prep work including practicing for the written/reading ones if you haven't done exams for a while.

Hi CLT03 - I've gone down the exact same route...my signature has my timeline FYI

Below is also a post I created on another forum on my experience:

I don't feel like working this morning so thought I'd pull a post together offering you info and tips for a 190 SS application.

I've not completed the application and don't profess to be an expert, these are simply my opinions, suggestions and recommendations - If this helps anyone even a bit then I'm happy.

I am using an agent and what I'd say is if you can afford it, do it! Can it be done without an agent, probably; however there are many pitfalls, the process is hugely time consuming and stressful and if you need to focus on work, selling houses, ordering shipping containers then I believe it's worth the money. I'm not going to recommend agents here, there are a number of posts on this topic so have a look around

Step 1 - Collating doc's

Below is a list of documents I collated, copied and certified (this is a massive pain in the @rse so prepare yourself for the slog!)

• Passport – Main applicant
  • Passport – Spouse / Dependents
  • Passport photos for both
  • Previous Employer Reference letters
  • Previous Employer Employment contracts
  • Previous Employer Confirmation of resignation (dated)
  • Last 4 payslips from Previous Employers
  • Previous Employer P60 tax documents (UK)
  • Current Employer Reference letter
  • Current Employer Employment contract
  • My last 4 payslips from Current Employer
  • Current Employer Pension Plan letter (or other similar documents)
  • Unabridged birth certificate
  • Unabridged marriage certificate
  • Qualification – Certificate/Diploma/Degree
  • Confirmation of graduation letter (confirming study in English)
  • Complete Academic record
  • International Qualifications letter

Step 2 - IELTS test

PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE! This test is not easy (and I am an English, first language speaker). Check out the training materials on the IELTS website.

If you go in prepared then you have no reason to stress, so my final tip is take deep breaths and stay calm. Don't get into your own head and don't over-think it!

Step 3 - Skills assessment

Ah, the dreaded skills assessment! I went through VETASSESS and received a negative first assessment, I then changed my occupation and my re-assessment came back positive in less than 2 days! What the process taught me:

• Make sure that prior to requesting reference letters and polishing up your CV that you go to the Aus Bureau of Statistics website and read through the Indicative Skill Levels and Tasks for your occupation. This should form the foundation of what is in the references and CV. You cannot copy the information word for word but ensure you adapt what your roles and responsibilities are to the specific requirements on ABS. I did this second time round and my positive assessment happened in days! If you're on good terms with your old bosses, ask them to read the ABS website before writing the reference and ask them to base the letter on those tasks.
  • If you've not heard back in 12 weeks (from when they receive the hard copies, not online app unfortunately!) then call them! I did (after 16 weeks!) and they were super friendly and helpful and it was the lady there that actually recommended I change my occupation!
  • If you do need a reassessment, ask for the same assessing officer, it fast tracked my application.

Step 4 - State Sponsorship / EOI

Here my agent basically did everything for me. The only thing I'd say is do LOADS of research of the State you're applying to. For ACT I needed a Commitment letter (attached), this is your opportunity to show that you're interested, that you've read up on the areas and would fit well in the community.

GOOGLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND, but some other good research tools to help you start include:

Well that's about all I can comment on as I've only just submitted my SS application. Other suggestions, some of which have no basis on any experience or concrete facts would be:

• Hound your agent, this is your right! If you're not on top of him/her then someone else is and they're getting the best possible service whilst you hang around your mobile pulling your hair out!
  • Engage with people on SAAustralia, this is the best resource I've ever found and everyone wants to help! Likewise, don't be a Lurker, help people, give advice, show support and generally share the love;-) We're in this together, come hell or high water!
  • Don't give up - Nothing worth having comes easy so just keep persevering and you'll find a solution to any problem (unless you're an international arms dealer or you've murdered someone...). No problem is unique, someone on this forum has been through it, just ask for help

Right, I may as well do some work now...hope this is somewhat useful to people entering the process

(The post with live links and attachments can be found here

GOOD LUCK

C

Thanks for the advice everyone! My main concern is my skills assessment due to the fact my degree is in management with marketing but I am applying for project administrator skill as I have work experience in this field. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly and one day I will get permanent residency :)

I've done a couple of the practice IELTS test, I'm assuming writing will be the most difficult. Hopefully plenty of practice and some half decent questions on the day and I should be ok!

Hi Claire,

I'm currently applying for the same visa and same occupation. The IELTS is relatively easy as long as you've practised the format a bit before your exam. The writing usually catches people out, so I'd ensure you work through the practice material.

My skills assessment has taken ages, it is now about 16 weeks. I chased my agent and we eventually got word that the case officer wasn't happy with the statutory declaration, so I've had to resubmit. They were requesting information in the statutory declaration that had never been asked before according to the agent. The agent believed this was due to a tightening of the assessment because as a general occupation, alot of people try to use this route, as its easier.

My Degree in History and my program administration skills come through over 10 years experience, they have not queried not having a relevant degree. So this may not be a problem as long as you have the experience.

If you want anymore information let me know

Chris

Archived