cairns and cyclones

anoh

We are in Cairns and buying a house. I am beginning to get very anxious about the thought of cyclones and people love to tell such horror stories.

Some have said if you can leave just go and travel inland, others have been quite laid back about it. We have a small caravan and understand we should garage it or strap it down and the same goes for cars ( strap it to what? ). Some have said it will be fine in a carport or on the drive.

Perhaps we should just go south for the wet season!!

Well of course there are cyclones- but not every year and not necessarily centred round Cairns. Same with bushfires where I live- you just have to be aware and take what precautions you can. No use worrying. Look at all the people who live round there- if it was that bad they wouldn't, would they?

Guest The Pom Queen

Please don't worry too much about cyclones, yes they can happen and yes Yasi was very scary, however, all houses are built to Cat 4 or Cat 5 standard. I think the last one to hit Cairns was in 2000 and that was Cyclone Steve who went over the Northern Beaches. Can I ask where you are building as it won't be the winds that will be the issue but more the flooding or storm surge. I know when Yasi was heading over all the beaches down to the CBD were evacuated. The only safe place on the Beaches was Palm Cove

Thanks for the replies. For some reason I thought the last cyclone was more recent than 2000 which is reassuring. We are buying a house in Trinity Beach but much further back and checked it was not in a flood zone so should be ok.

Archived