Areas within 30-40 mins of Hendra in Brisbane?!

Team Edwards

Hi,

Hoping for some advise from the Queenslanders!

We are flying to Australia in August. We were all set for moving to North NSW (Pottville upto South Tweed) area. Then OH went and bagged himself what seems to be a great job!!!! The only problem being the commute was going to be too much from North NSW. So, back to the drawing board and now we need to suss out Brisbane!!!

Ideally, we need to live within 30-40 mins of Hendra..........so:-

• What decent areas are within 30-40 mins.
  • Are we better to live NOR? Is crossing river if we lived on the other side an issue (i.e. tolls, congestion etc?)
  • Schools - really important of course! We have 3 children age 6, 4 & 19 month.
  • Any advice on areas? Positives and negatives....!
  • Closest beaches? (i know there are none as such in Brisbane!!)

Any advice at all really would be much appreciated.

THANK YOU!

The Eddies!!! x

Hi, Hoping for some advise from the Queenslanders! We are flying to Australia in August. We were all set for moving to North NSW (Pottville upto South Tweed) area. Then OH went and bagged himself what seems to be a great job!!!! The only problem being the commute was going to be too much from North NSW. So, back to the drawing board and now we need to suss out Brisbane!!! Ideally, we need to live within 30-40 mins of Hendra..........so:-

• What decent areas are within 30-40 mins.

• Are we better to live NOR? Is crossing river if we lived on the other side an issue (i.e. tolls, congestion etc?)

• Schools - really important of course! We have 3 children age 6, 4 & 19 month.

• Any advice on areas? Positives and negatives....!

• Closest beaches? (i know there are none as such in Brisbane!!)

Any advice at all really would be much appreciated. THANK YOU! The Eddies!!! x

You could live in most of the suburbs around Hendra and be fine. Hendra is a good area but there is also Clayfield, Ascot, Nundah, Wavell Heights, Windsor which all have good reputations. Clayfield and Ascot both have good State Schools if you live in the catchment areas. These areas also have easy access to some of the best private schools in Brisbane if you are that way inclined.

We lived in Clayfield when we first moved over as it is close to the city where I work and was a good base for exploring the surrounding suburbs before we decided where to buy. We have ended up about 20km out of the city which would be about 40 minutes drive to Hendra in rush hour. We chose where we are on the NW side (Eatons Hill) because it is a quiet family friendly area with good quality larger houses with decent sized gardens. The house prices are also considerably cheaper this far out!

If you can afford to, it is probably worth renting near to your OH's work so that you spend less time commuting and have more time to get to know Brisbane and work out where you want to be.

If you work north of the river it is often recommended on this forum to live there too as it is a pain commuting over the river. Personally, I prefer the northside and the Sunshine Coast to the southside and Gold Coast, but each to their own!

My husband's latest addiction is reading the Qld Police live feed about crimes and he reckons that most of the bad crime happens south side. Certainly, since we've been here my husband's uncle was bashed and left for dead on the southside and another friend was carjacked southside but none of our friends/rellies (touch wood) have suffered similar problems northside.

I can understand your attraction to Northern NSW as it is a lovely area but you'd need to work in that area or on the Gold Coast to be able to enjoy living there.

Hope the above helps.:wink:

You could live in most of the suburbs around Hendra and be fine. Hendra is a good area but there is also Clayfield, Ascot, Nundah, Wavell Heights, Windsor which all have good reputations. Clayfield and Ascot both have good State Schools if you live in the catchment areas. These areas also have easy access to some of the best private schools in Brisbane if you are that way inclined.

We lived in Clayfield when we first moved over as it is close to the city where I work and was a good base for exploring the surrounding suburbs before we decided where to buy. We have ended up about 20km out of the city which would be about 40 minutes drive to Hendra in rush hour. We chose where we are on the NW side (Eatons Hill) because it is a quiet family friendly area with good quality larger houses with decent sized gardens. The house prices are also considerably cheaper this far out!

If you can afford to, it is probably worth renting near to your OH's work so that you spend less time commuting and have more time to get to know Brisbane and work out where you want to be.

If you work north of the river it is often recommended on this forum to live there too as it is a pain commuting over the river. Personally, I prefer the northside and the Sunshine Coast to the southside and Gold Coast, but each to their own!

My husband's latest addiction is reading the Qld Police live feed about crimes and he reckons that most of the bad crime happens south side. Certainly, since we've been here my husband's uncle was bashed and left for dead on the southside and another friend was carjacked southside but none of our friends/rellies (touch wood) have suffered similar problems northside.

I can understand your attraction to Northern NSW as it is a lovely area but you'd need to work in that area or on the Gold Coast to be able to enjoy living there.

Hope the above helps.:wink:

Thank you so much Loopylu! This is exactly what i was looking for! At least now i have a few places in mind to start research. I quite like the idea of 'out of it' a bit rather that in the middle of Brisbane (hence our original plan of Pottsville!). Good to know also things to consider on the SOR. I know is everywhere but still.........that's quite scary!

Thanks again,

​xx

Archived