Lifestyle in Cairns

fiftyeight

Hello, I am going to study in Australia for 3 years and might stay longer if it will be possible.

I wanted a place that is outdoorsy as most of the things I like to to do are outdoors such as hiking, picnics, biking, going to the beach if possible.

I have been accepted to Unviersity of Tasmania in Hobart and James Cook University in Cairns.

Of course social life is important to me and the lifestyle will determine how much I'll enjoy my social life there.

I know both Cairns is good for this kind of outdoorsy lifestyle. But I'd love to hear from someone who has actually lived thrtr.

I've been in both thrtr as a tourist before and I loved it, but I've only been in each for about two weeks which makes it hard to know how it is year-round.

My impression was that:

1. Cairns can get very rainy which can make it hard to go out.

2. Cairns seems to be closer to rainforest and national parks then Hobart, and probably from Smithfield where the university is you can get to the rainforest even by walk/bike.

So far it seems to me that Cairns is a bit more suitable for me but I'd love to hear more opinions.

In terms of the weather I like that its hot year round in Cairns, but how bad does it rain? does it actually make it impossible to go out? does it last for days or how is it? do people stil lgo out as much in the wet season?

In the two weeks I was there it actually didnt rain almost at all, but I think I was lucky.

I'm sure that somone will tell you what the rain can be like but there is a risk of cyclones and torrential storms and floding but have you really considered the heat and humidity? It can be unbearable. Having experienced it for a few days on holiday and working there, Cairns is not a place I would want to live in the summer. You will also not be able to swim in the sea for most of the summer because of irukanji, crocs and blue ring octopus, which can kill you. Going there for a holiday is one thing, living there is another.

Guest chris955

You may find Hobart an 'easier' place to live, if you arent totally happy with very high humidity Cairns can be very oppressive. I love Cairns and usually went twice a year but could never live there because of the weather.

You may find Hobart an 'easier' place to live, if you arent totally happy with very high humidity Cairns can be very oppressive. I love Cairns and usually went twice a year but could never live there because of the weather.

Thanx for the advice guys, the humidity and heat do not scare me that much, mainly because I've been in very humid hot places before for extended periods, and of course I'm not a big fan, but I can deal with it.

I've been in Cairns in end of April-May and it was indeed humid, but IMO I can deal with it.

I'm more worried about the rain/cyclones thing really and I'd love to hear how bad the rain and cyclones and flood thing is.

Is it so bad that you have to stay inside.

I will be staying in Smithfield if I live there, is it and the city center affected much by these factors?

And also in general, how bad is it?

A cyclone is like a hurricane with 150Kph winds - yes its bad wherever you are there and the rain is like a power shower and not like anything in the UK. surely you have seen hurricanes on the news? April/May in Cairns is not the most humid time and it also gets dark about 6pm so you can't really do much in the evenings. I did a week in Townsville just before Christmas and just walking 200m did me in. I have to work up there for one week a year seeing customers and my company wont let me go in the summer months as it is too hot and humid.

A cyclone is like a hurricane with 150Kph winds - yes its bad wherever you are there and the rain is like a power shower and not like anything in the UK. surely you have seen hurricanes on the news? April/May in Cairns is not the most humid time and it also gets dark about 6pm so you can't really do much in the evenings. I did a week in Townsville just before Christmas and just walking 200m did me in. I have to work up there for one week a year seeing customers and my company wont let me go in the summer months as it is too hot and humid.

Hi, I've seen hurricanes on the news.

But I'm not entirely sure what it means for the residents.

Are the hurricanes in Cairns dangerous? do they kill people?

Should I be worried about it if staying in Smithfield?

Do you have to stay inside for days?

I'm just not sure what to make of it