Vetassess Electrician's Practical Exam.

Guest seandel

• 3 weeks later...
Got some stuff I can email to help you out Geezy. Won't get time for next couple of days as we're flying to Oz on Saturday and getting last bits sorted. Send me your email adrs and I'll get some stuff sent over that I've sent other lads going for the test. One thing I would say is try not to worry about it. Easier said than done, but it really isn't that difficult. Ppl do fail on the motor connections and safe isolation, but think that's nerves more than anything.

Could you send me that stuff please mate.

Edited by MaggieMay24
Email removed

Hi mate, any chance you could send me that info on the vetassess test too please, I have my test on the 19th and I'm bricking it! Thanks

I will send you over my revision notes, go through those, learn the disconnect/reconnect procedure off by heart, know motor circuits (all info in the notes) and if you can wire up a basic board with power and light circuit you'll be fine. They are particular about dimensions, height of switches etc....

Good luck!

Which centre you going to? UK or Oz?

Steve

Edited by MaggieMay24
Fixed quote (removed email)

I will send you over my revision notes, go through those, learn the disconnect/reconnect procedure off by heart, know motor circuits (all info in the notes) and if you can wire up a basic board with power and light circuit you'll be fine. They are particular about dimensions, height of switches etc....

Good luck!

Which centre you going to? UK or Oz?

Steve

Hi mate I'm doing it at the Blackburn one, thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!

Hi I'm struggling interpret something in the connect/disconnect part of the test, it says

Ensure that you know the minimum allowable value of insulation resistance of a conductor/s to earth/ground by your LOCAL STANDARDS

So that bit is straight forward, its just you regular insulation resistance test, minimum is 1Megohm and anything under 2 Megohm requires further investigation, its the other one....

Ensure that you know the maximum allowable value of earthing resistance of a conductor by your LOCAL STANDARDS

I'm not sure what this bit is asking for????? HELP!

Hi I'm struggling interpret something in the connect/disconnect part of the test, it says

Ensure that you know the minimum allowable value of insulation resistance of a conductor/s to earth/ground by your LOCAL STANDARDS

So that bit is straight forward, its just you regular insulation resistance test, minimum is 1Megohm and anything under 2 Megohm requires further investigation, its the other one....

Ensure that you know the maximum allowable value of earthing resistance of a conductor by your LOCAL STANDARDS

I'm not sure what this bit is asking for????? HELP!

I went with the Ze value, bear in mind an MEN (TN-C-S) system is used in Australia so go with that value...

Not been on here for a while, missed a few questions. Sorry for anyone that asked. I've got down emails I sent a mate when I did my practical in Blackburn. If anyone who wants it lists there emails I'll send them on. I wouldn't get too worried about the practical. Easier said then done I know, but it wasn't difficult. There's a video on YouTube that helped me out work the disconnect/reconnect. It was slightly ambiguous the procedure that they gave you to use so was easier watching someone do it. I'll forward that on with emails.

They tutor at the Blackburn college helped us out when I was there. Really good guy who didn't want to see anyone fail. If you can, take your own test gear it borrow a mates. They didn't even watch me do the test on my install when I turned up with mine.

Just learn the reconnect/disconnect procedure off by heart and have a look at drawings for DOL started. Got a drawing on email that I had to draw out then connect up using banana clips.

Don't worry bout it, it's more a pain in the arse getting your licence when you get out here! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Not been on here for a while, missed a few questions. Sorry for anyone that asked. I've got down emails I sent a mate when I did my practical in Blackburn. If anyone who wants it lists there emails I'll send them on. I wouldn't get too worried about the practical. Easier said then done I know, but it wasn't difficult. There's a video on YouTube that helped me out work the disconnect/reconnect. It was slightly ambiguous the procedure that they gave you to use so was easier watching someone do it. I'll forward that on with emails.

They tutor at the Blackburn college helped us out when I was there. Really good guy who didn't want to see anyone fail. If you can, take your own test gear it borrow a mates. They didn't even watch me do the test on my install when I turned up with mine.

Just learn the reconnect/disconnect procedure off by heart and have a look at drawings for DOL started. Got a drawing on email that I had to draw out then connect up using banana clips.

Don't worry bout it, it's more a pain in the arse getting your licence when you get out here! [emoji3]

Hi mate can you link me to that YouTube video please the wording in the vetassess paper is awful! Only 48hrs till my test!

Few questions they asked

Where would I connect up a ballast on a fluorescent fitting to improve power factor - across L and N

Which 1 isn't a single phase motor - capicitor, slip ring motor, shadow phase motor, (can't remember other 1) wasn't sure of answer.

Work out inductors in series. - just add together

Name another smoke detector - ionisation.

Which battery charges - lithium ion

Ballast does what in fluorescent fitting - increase voltage during starting, decreases current on running, Improves Power factor? Not sure of answer

Transformer question - NP = 920, NS = 460, VP = 230 What is VS (115v)

Few questions they asked

Where would I connect up a ballast on a fluorescent fitting to improve power factor - across L and N

Which 1 isn't a single phase motor - capicitor, slip ring motor, shadow phase motor, (can't remember other 1) wasn't sure of answer.

Work out inductors in series. - just add together

Name another smoke detector - ionisation.

Which battery charges - lithium ion

Ballast does what in fluorescent fitting - increase voltage during starting, decreases current on running, Improves Power factor? Not sure of answer

Transformer question - NP = 920, NS = 460, VP = 230 What is VS (115v)

Cant tell you how much that video had helped me mate, it's the wording in the paperwork!

Cant tell you how much that video had helped me mate, it's the wording in the paperwork!

I know mate. I had the same problem. Doesn't make sense. I was panicking before the test but much easier once you can see it done the way they want you to do it. Just learn that with the procedure and you'll be fine. Good luck

• 3 months later...
Guest dsmithy

Hey guys, i am booked in for my offshore electrical assessment on 30th August in Brisbane. I am doing it through future skills. A few of you guys have mentioned you have notes and practice papers. anything would be great as i feel im a little rusty as its been 10 years since i done my college and doesnt help all my stuff is the other side of the world! also does anyone have the experience of applying for the 189 skilled visa recently? agent or no agent?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...