175 visa granted

I (and my) family were granted a 175 visa last year. After starting the the visa process the total time took just 9 months to being awarded the visa. I feel lucky that the visa has been granted without too much hassle and a relatively short timescale.

However, with no definate plans to move to Oz as yet I feel more and more that Australia is not for me (I have visited a few times) and that it would not meet my high expectations often delivered by the media and potential employers playing the 'lifestyle' card. After reading this site there are many people who have returned uphappy, conversly there have many who have stayed and are happy. I have a good job here in the UK and love living in the UK.

The dilema now is, should I count my blessings that I have been give the chance of a visa that many others seek and go, or stay and keep everything I've worked for here including the massive relocation costs that would burden me if I left. For me, Australia really only has to offer the generally warmer climate than the UK. Intially I started the visa process to provide a better outlook for children's future in Australia. However, even the Australian ecomony appears to be weakening indicating a possible weaker future for my children than I earlier thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to poms in oz.

Personally, the better weather and space is enough for me to want to be here. That is pretty much it. I don't believe it is better for children, the job market doesn't give as many opportunities, most things are more expensive (but getting better).

If you are happy enough where you are then I think I would stay. Or you could always come on a temporary basis, say a year, and then see what you think at the end of that year.

Archived