189 Visa: study and full-time job at the same time

Daiki

Dear all,

My visa (485) is going to expire on this Sep and I have only 55 points. But, I have 2 and half years work experience in IT.

If I get a student visa and work 6 months as a student but 20 hours per week, is it considered as full-time work and can apply 189 with 60 points?

Thank you,

Guest guest76088

You won't get a student residence visa unless you are clearly a temporary resident expected to leave on completion (although you may get a post qualification work period). In addition the courses are generally full-time to qualify so I think it unlikely that you will be able to take employment credit even if you were working.

BigD

Thank u for your reply.

Could you elaborate this?

> You won't get a student residence visa unless you are clearly a temporary resident expected to leave on completion (although you may get a post qualification work period).

So, they don't approve me as a student, unless I show some evidences to go back at the end of the study?

By the way, I have completed 2 Masters and I cannot get additional points from education unless I complete PhD. Also, my boss does not give me sponsorship.

have you tried talking to a migration agent for advice? Go Matilda have very good reputation

Thank u for your reply.

Could you elaborate this?

> You won't get a student residence visa unless you are clearly a temporary resident expected to leave on completion (although you may get a post qualification work period).

So, they don't approve me as a student, unless I show some evidences to go back at the end of the study?

This is and isn't true. They are now asking extra questions when you apply for a student visa about your intention to stay in Australia. They do not want to issue visas to people who are just looking for ways to stay in the country. Some people have been refused, many more haven't. However, as you have been here so long, and have been in a 485 visa already it is a real possibility that they may not give you another student visa.

And of course, you have had a 485 so you wouldn't get more time to meet the criteria.

​Is your job on the sol or csol? Could you do the ielts before then to gain the extra five points? It looks like it could be your only option.

Archived