Back from our validation trip to Brisbane

Geordielass44

Well we have been back for 2 weeks from our validation trip to Brisbane - what an amazing time we had too! We flew from Manchester to Singapore with Singapore airlines and the flight was fine (i am not a fan of flying but the 15 hours went quickly - short stop in Munich on the way) We stayed in Singapore for 4 days and loved every second of it! What a fabulous place! And hot! My daughter loves noodles/rice/sushi etc and was in her element! We ate in the food courts in shopping centres and the choice was incredible! It is also the cleanest place i have ever been! After a few days exploring and downing an obligatory Singapore sling in Raffles long bar we boarded our flight to Brisbane. 8 hours later we were met at the airport by an old school friend i had not seen for over 20 years which was great! We booked into our apartment in Spring Hills (excellent accomodation and not too expensive) and went off to explore....We had a fab 8 days and went to the Gold Coast (mmmm not sure) the Sunshine Coast (liked!!) and explored Brisbane! My friend and her husband took us to Springwood (?) i think national forest for a 4km walk on one of the days! Apart from nearly killing me the views were beautiful and the ocassional need to remove leeches from our legs all added to the adventure! I loved all the birds and wildlife....sitting eating a picnic we were joined by 4 kookaburra, a kangaroo and a metre and a half long monitor lizard! we had a great day out at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary too! We shopped in Coles and Woolworths and found them expensive like everyone else when exchanging pounds to dollars. However on our return did a Tesco shop here that made my eyes water when i was given the total....i think eating out in Oz is a lot. We took our daughter out to a Japanese restaurant in Brisbane for her 17th birthday and it was over £100 for one main each and one drink. But it was a lovely place and the food was good too and ot was her birthday! Then we came back to the Uk....34 hour trip from door to door wasnt great....quite a turbulent flight on the way back (both flights) which has probably cured my fear of flying! After six hours i gave up being scared!! Sooooooo our plans now.....well i think our daughter will go to Uni in the Uk....and we will leave her after she has settled in....Main reasons are that we may not get work in Brisbane (and if we dont settle in Oz for whatever reason) at least i know she will be ok in the Uk.....the Oz dream is ours and may not be hers....she will stll have time to move to Oz if she wants after her degree as the visa is valid until 2017.... As for us....hubby will get a years experience in nursing when he qualifies next year.....we are deciding what to do with our belongings..probably sell the lot and use a move cube to send smaller items and clothes...put the house on the market next year and then set a date for the big move...probably mid 2015... ​ And we have decided we are going to go overland to Singapore then fly to Brisbane! Has anyone else done this?we are looking at the trans-mongolian express to Beijing then trains to Singapore? So that is us really!! A little bit clearer about our plans after our trip and looking forward to going back! :biggrin:

Guest Guest16631

......a lovely read thank you........you managed to fit so much in........and a birthday..!

......the journey can be quite wearing.....ime.....

......so your idea for the 2015 return sounds fun ,will be interested to know how you get on....

​.......all the best for the future..........tink x

Archived