A few questions about WHV

NottstoOz

I received my visa last week and I'm preparing to books flight, and with that comes a whole host of scary thoughts! Namely what do I need to do now to make my arrival a smooth process?

Which bank would you recommend to set up an account with and can I set it up now?

Which mobile network provides the best deal?

Which travel insurance company offers the cheapest deal?

Do I need to collect any identification numbers/right to work cards upon arrival? Kind of like the Aus version of a national insurance card?

You'll have to forgive my total ignorance as I've never done something this crazy before and I don't know anybody who has either! I've been doing research but it's always a good idea to ask people who have been there and done it :-)

Thank you!

Bank: I went with NAB, it's free and you can set it up before you arrive, day you land can get the card and stuff, and you can send over money before you arrive.

Mobile network: Anyone but Vodaphone, I went with Optus, coverage is pretty good, $30 a month PAYG gives me more then enough mins, texts, and internet usage. Telstra gives the best coverage, but is the most expensive.

National Insurance: You go to the tax office and apply for a Tax File Number, basically you fill in a form and in a couple of weeks you get the number in the post (most places I think they can send it to the post office as you won't have a proper address to begin with)

Travel Insurance: No idea really I went with outbacker insurance, haven't used it yet and I had my wallet nicked, and some cash nicked. That's about all I know!

Enjoy!

Hi,

I came out here on a WHV in 2008, and you will find it such a smooth process. First of all I would say don't go with NAB go with Commonwealth Bank. I used NAB during my WHV and whilst they are ok Commonwealth are better. For a start there are far more cash points for Commonwealth than NAB. As with NAB you can set up online and deposit before you go so need to change a load of money.

As the previous poster said, Optus is probably your best bet for a mobile phone. I still use them now and their service is getting alot better. Go on social pre-paid on the $30 cap and that should see you through the month, especially if you download Skype. Texts are only 35c to the UK.

Your visa is label free but always keep a copy of the confirmation etc. Good idea to photocopy your passport and keep it safe, just in case the worst happens. I still have to do that now. Just look up a Tax office in which ever city you arrive in and its pretty much straight forward obtaining your Tax File Number.

For insurance I always used Covermore UK, they are very good value imo and used them on WHV trips to Canada as well. But im sure there's plenty others out there.

Good luck and enjoy it

Guest The Pom Queen

With NAB you don't pay any monthly fees and your cards are waiting for you on arrival unlike the other big banks. Don't forget your Medicare card

Hi,

I came out here on a WHV in 2008, and you will find it such a smooth process. First of all I would say don't go with NAB go with Commonwealth Bank. I used NAB during my WHV and whilst they are ok Commonwealth are better. For a start there are far more cash points for Commonwealth than NAB. As with NAB you can set up online and deposit before you go so need to change a load of money.

As the previous poster said, Optus is probably your best bet for a mobile phone. I still use them now and their service is getting alot better. Go on social pre-paid on the $30 cap and that should see you through the month, especially if you download Skype. Texts are only 35c to the UK.

Your visa is label free but always keep a copy of the confirmation etc. Good idea to photocopy your passport and keep it safe, just in case the worst happens. I still have to do that now. Just look up a Tax office in which ever city you arrive in and its pretty much straight forward obtaining your Tax File Number.

For insurance I always used Covermore UK, they are very good value imo and used them on WHV trips to Canada as well. But im sure there's plenty others out there.

Good luck and enjoy it

Yes, good advice. I took a photocopy of my passport - and needed it, as I lost mine two weeks before I left for Asia!! Went to British Embassy and paid a fortune for an emergency passport which lasts a year (although, the lady did say they were stopping those). I did get my original passport back (argggh!!) - but it was then void. Gutted!!

I used 24-7 insurance - which having looked around (a lot!) I found were easy to understand, reasonably priced and covered what I needed (including fully stating that they covered you working). I also had to claim on it, as I trapped a nerve whilst working, and they paid up no questions asked - very easy. :)

Oh, and I used Citibank - which while don't have many branches - you could use most atm's free - no monthly charges and I could transfer between my UK and Aus account instantly and free (although, as has been pointed out by someone, it won't be favourable exchange rates - but I didn't find it too bad!).

With NAB you don't pay any monthly fees and your cards are waiting for you on arrival unlike the other big banks. Don't forget your Medicare card

Your Cards are waiting on arrival with Commonwealth as well. The charges are $4/month which in the grand scheme of things in the country is nothing. I don't know with all but the account I set up before leaving the UK has the charges waived for 12 months.

Archived