Migrant get-together/bqq at North Lakes 4509

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello

The next date is Saturday 27 July from 2pm. BYO (bring your own) everything - chairs, drink, food. There is a bbq available (no fee).

We'll be at the Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard (behind Bounty Boulevard School), North Lakes Qld 4509.

If you have any queries/questions, do pm me

For the people just arriving in the country, if you have questions generally, do email & ask!

​Pat

• 1 month later...

Hi Pat - Lesley and me(Dave) just came across your post and wonder if we might find common ground with members of your group who we assume are mostly younger families. We're just retired but fit, and have been in Kallangur for a year. Have family close by but missing friends. Finding it a bit difficult getting any sort of social life going here - maybe it's just the fact that we don't have work and workmates any more. Would be nice to meet expats just to get other people's views. Can we just turn up to the get together ?

Hello Lesley & Dave

By no means is it just younger families: we have 30s people up to 60s people, so yes, you'd be very welcome. If you want more personal information, send me a PM (private message). Perhaps we can all contribute ideas for getting a social life going for you -they're a small but very welcoming bunch! It can be very daunting in the first couple of years (I remember that!) but time and determination will hopefully sort it out. See you there.

• 1 month later...

Next get-together will be Sat 19 Oct at Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard (behind Bounty Boulevard School), North Lakes. 2.30pm until dark (about 6pm). BYO (bring your own) everything: food, drinks, chairs. July meet had 11 families, so not too big to get to chat to people.

• 1 month later...

Ha ha no way! Not really been on here since we were getting our visas way back in 2007 / 08, took us ages to finally get here but made it in the end. It's a bit manic for us at the mo as we ve gotta move to another rental on 1st nov and got my hubby's brother coming to visit on the 7 th aaarrrggghhh. Sure well get there but in packing hell again ha ha. Won t make the meet tomorrow for those reasons, but will defo arrange to meet up again if that's ok? That's for the reply..keep in touch eh

Lol! You don't make life easy, moving on the 1st and visitors on the 7th!! Wow!! Shame you cant make the meet up, we have found some nice friends from the last one! If you fancy meeting up just pm me Yes I think the English can party on a lot longer than dark, still not used to these early dark nights!! Lol! Hopefully speak to you soon!!

Believe me...not planned this at all. Landlord issued us notice for dec but would rather get out and sorted ASAP than hang around waiting. Dissapointed can t make today. We could maybe meet up at the boat club / Morgan's for fish and chips or whatever in between next BBQ meet. Will let you know when things are bit settled. Have a great day.

No, the get-togethers are 3 monthly, so the next will be Sat 18 Jan at the Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes (behind Bounty Boulevard School). 2.30 til dark (usually because people have young children & they're ready to go come dark). BYO what you need (food, drinks, sunscreen and possibly chairs, although we usually get a shelter shed that has cover & a bbq table/benches). There's a free electric bbq at each shelter shed.

Are you a motorbike fan??

19 Oct has been & gone, so the next will be Saturday 18 January at the same place: Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard, North Lakes (behind Bounty Boulevard School). 2.30 til you have to go (and most go around dark 'cos a number have littlies). BYO what you need (food, drinks, chairs). There's usually a free electric bbq available, plus kids' play area and toilets. About 8-9 families came last week and we had a good natter.

Archived