Mod and War Pensions

Guest pandj6224

Guest pandj6224

Hi All,

I wonder does anyone have any idea's on the following, I have both a War and Mod pension both are for Injuries sustained and as such are non taxable in the UK, I have asked a few advisers now and no one is entirely sure whether or not they will stay non taxable in Australia, one has said yes the other said we're not sure:unsure:!! does anyone have any ideas :idea:?? This could have a very big impact if it turns out to be taxable.......we are having our meds at the end of March, Police checks to be sent for early next week......

Thanks

Pat

pat,

might not be the help you are looking for, but this place is sorting me transfer my pension across. (I hope!) i sent an email asking questions to the one on the contact page and got an answer. there is a good booklet about everything - and although it is a couple of days since i looked at it - there might be something in there.

MilitarySuper - Disclaimer

might not answer your Q, but might help.

Good luck.

Adam

Guest leanneandmark

Hi Mark recieves a War pension as well, i checked his paper work to make sure we still recieve it but it never crossed my mind it could be taxable in oz.

Ours isnt huge, and we hope to manage without and let it build up here for flights for my little sister to visit every year.

Please Mr tax man leave Marks pension alone:arghh:.

Alan Collett might know actually, i think he is accountant and a migration agent.

Guest pandj6224

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for the response, I'll follow up all the leads and let you guys knows as soon as I get a definate answer, but here's what I know already both my War & Mod pensions will be paid along with any additional supplements, this an be paid every three months into an Australian bank account or have it paid monthly into a UK account and transfer it down myself.

Well thats all that I know at the moment, oh My Mod pension is classed as a service attributable pension and as such is Non taxable, it's not an Mod retirement pension, but for you guys out there who do have the latter it's good to know that you will only be taxed once... Thank goodnes for that.... I'm hoping my one stays NT.....

Thanks again:)

Pat

Guest Squidget

Hi Pat,

My husband is ex RN and has a friend who was medically retired from the RN. He applied for a Private Ruling from the ATO that he shouldn't have to pay tax in Aus as his pension was tax free in UK. This was granted by the ATO. See the link below for how to apply for a Private Ruling

How to apply for a private ruling

I suggest that you do the same - not sure whether you have to be tax resident here before you can apply or whether you can do it from the UK?

Hope that helps :)

Guest pandj6224

Hi Squidget,

Brilliant Brilliant !!!

Thanks for all the information, I have downloaded the Form from the, ATO. I have had a look at it and considering it is a tax form it looks relatively straight forward, it does look like I may need a Australian Tax file number though, that's fine, I may well drop an email to them, to see if they can sort it out before we get there and if not I'll get the form ready to go.

Our fingers are crossed, Police checks go in next week and meds the end of march, so we need to start tying up all the loose ends....

Thanks again Squidget

Pat......

Archived