Prison officer to correctional officer

Callie mum

Hi is there any ex UK prison officers who have joined the Aus correctional services?

If so did you have to complete their initial training course or did they accept your previous work experience?

What are the prisons and Aus prison staff like, do they accept us poms?

• 3 months later...
Hi is there any ex UK prison officers who have joined the Aus correctional services?

If so did you have to complete their initial training course or did they accept your previous work experience?

What are the prisons and Aus prison staff like, do they accept us poms?

Hi, my husband would be interested in your question too. He is an ex-prison officer in the UK and we are trying all ways to start a new permanent life in Oz. We are looking for sponsorship in similar roles, correctional officer, police officer (he is currently a serving UK cop) and investigator roles. At present, we just have no idea where to look as we don't have our heart set on any major city in Australia, looking at all options. Will be interesting to see your replies. Good luck.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi, I am a current serving British prison officer and things keep changing, different states do things differently, but as far as I can gather, you have to have a Permenent residency visa before you can work in an Australian prison. From what I have come across most state prison want you to do the training course, but private prisons are different, some do and some don't, some are doing a transfer over system where you work alongside a screw for a couple of weeks and away you go, no more training is needed and your previous experience is taken in to account. Like I say, it's different everywhere, so keep an open mind in what they might or might not offer. I was told at one place that I would be paid more than new starters because of my previous 25 years experience, but another said I had to start right at the beginning. I don't know of any overseas recruitment, there might be somewhere, but again I don't know if they will sort the visa out for you, I've never heard of it. Another way in, is to go to New Zealand and after 3 years you can get in to the Australian service. What ever you do, don't give up, keep looking at adverts, I signed up with Smart Jobs for alerts. The thing is, if you can get a visa, the Australian service love British screws and with what is happening here in the UK with unfair and unsustainable and Bloody Benchmarking, the jobs far better in Australia, I have a few screws who work there as contacts and they say it's a lot better. Feel free to pm me anytime for a chat.

Archived