309 - how much evidence is enough / housewife as sponsor

ksarah

Hello!

This site has been awesome in helping us get our Spousal visa application together but I could use some help confirming how much evidence is required as the booklet is scant on this detail.

As a bit of background, I'm Australian and my hubby is British and we live in London. We've been married for 4 years, together for 6 and have 2 kidlets. So in theory we have lots of evidence to demonstrate our 'togetherness'.... should we submit a sample of bank account statements/utility bills (i.e 2-3 per year?) or the whole lot (which seems overkill)?

Also, I quit my marketing job to become a stay at home mum once our second came along and we aim to continue this arrangement when we get back to Sydney. I have recent statements of all my savings/investments but no actual income per se, so i've copied 3months worth of hubby's bank account statements to (hopefully) prove we're financially prepared. Is this adequate?

My hubby is rather relaxed about the whole affair but having been seriously burn't by the UK Home Office with my visas I'd rather seek some advice from those who have successfully gone before us!

Thanks for taking the time to read this - if you can shed any light on these issues, I'd be really grateful!!

Hello.

You have the right idea, better to be over-prepared! My hubby is also very relaxed but I'm glad I hoarded evidence for a year before lodging!

Bank statements and utility bills; these serve two purposes. One is to show that you both reside at the same address, the other is that it shows you're both financially supporting each other. So I would use a sample of utility bills (perhaps one or two) to show you both reside at the same address, and I would choose a few bank statements that show your joint account, and a statement or two that show you transferring from both of your accounts to the joint account or to each other's accounts. I circled mine and hubby's account details in each of our statements to show we were transferring to each other.

It doesn't really matter that you're financially prepared, if you're the sponsor they do specify that you need to point out how you're going to support your partner back in Aus. My husband just supplied a few payslips to show he was working here and that he was able to pick up a job easily, and that he'll be able to get a job in Aus.

It can be hard to gauge how much info you should put in! I generally didn't put in too much, just one or two pieces of each piece of evidence on the list. I didn't want to over-load the application with excess and felt I put the right amount in. I recently read on here about someone that put in so much evidence that when they submitted in person they were told to take it down to a fifth of what it was! Eeep!

Good luck, I applied at the beginning of Feb and I got my evidence returned with a receipt, and an email requesting my husband birth certificate and my email address, and no other evidence was asked for, so I assume we're in the clear. I do my meds next month.

Yup, agree with the above.

We have been together for 10 years or so, married for 5 years and have a 4 year old child.

We sent in supporting evidence covering from when we first began living together (a couple of years before getting married). Basically just one or two bills for each address putting us at all the addresses we've lived together at. We did this up to the most recent address where we supplied a few more things. We also included one or two things like car insurance where we are both listed together, life insurance policy and child tax credits where it names us both.

We supplied one or two joint bank statements for each year also. We provided more years than required as we wanted to show the extent of our history and not just give them the last two years or one year. Seemed a bit odd to not cover all our co habiting years when we've been living together so long. Gave them the full picture in a shortened form.

Hubby (the Aussie but the main earner since I became a SAHM) also supplied 2 years worth of salary slips to show how he has been supporting us as a family. Also a few bank statements showing this going into his account.

You could use things like utility bills, electric, gas, water and so on for either or both of you. Also council tax as this usually names both of you. Bank statements are also good. Car insurance, life insurance or wills. Basically they need to see proof of you being at the same address and your commitment to each other.

We have a partner visa thread you are welcome to join in on if you would like. A fair few can be found there http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/58449-summary-spouse-visa-processing-times-offshore-uk-please-add-your-stats-720.html

Good luck with the process :)

Also you'll cover who will be working etc in your supporting statements so you can explain how the arrangement works between you for you being a SAHM and so on. IIRC there is also a place in the application for the sponsor to explain that side of things.

O one more thing, if your children have Aus citizenship by descent and therefore not going on the application as migrating your OH will most likely be asked to provide copies of their birth certificates with names of both parents on. Our CO said it did not have to be certified but we had already had it done along with all the other documents in case it was requested. I just sent in the certified copy and it was fine.

O and also I was asked to submit proof of my husbands visa status in the UK or his citizenship certificate if he also held UK citizenship.

I didn't include either of these with my initial application as they were not listed on the checklist. I figured if my CO needed anything else they would request it and I'd supply it when asked to do so. Which was exactly what happened and was really straightforward to provide the extra info requested. Was all done and sorted within the first week of being allocated a CO and everything was fine.

Thank you both so much for taking the time to share your experiences, I *really* appreciate it.

We've now done a bit of extra photocopying and I think our application is just about ready to send off today. All very exciting stuff!!!!

Have a great weekend, everyone!!