Can Software Tester apply for skill of Software Engineer ?

rp0032801

Hi All,

As far as I can understand , Software Engineer is very generic term which includes Software Tester , Software Developer and other enigineers working in software industry .

Since I have around 6 year of experience in Testing , I got my skills assessed as Software Tester through ACS . But for few states I can see Software Engineer profile but not able to see Software Tester .

So my question here to experts is that can a Software Tester like me can apply as Software Engineer position ?

Can someone help me here .

Hi All,

As far as I can understand , Software Engineer is very generic term which includes Software Tester , Software Developer and other enigineers working in software industry .

Since I have around 6 year of experience in Testing , I got my skills assessed as Software Tester through ACS . But for few states I can see Software Engineer profile but not able to see Software Tester .

So my question here to experts is that can a Software Tester like me can apply as Software Engineer position ?

Can someone help me here .

I would look to a migration agent for the definitive answer but my understanding is if you have been assessed by ACS as a software tester then you cannot apply for state sponsorship as a software engineer - they are different codes. You do have the option of having your skills reassessed as a software engineer (& I know software testers who have had successful outcomes that route (but by applying for that in the first place )

The other alternative is sponsorship - Perth has a desperate shortage of experienced testers and if you would be interested in working here, you are welcome to send me your CV. I am not recruiting personally at the moment but I know people who are that do sponsor. It would probably be a 457 which has its drawbacks but with a skills assessment you could be sponsored for PR straight off.

I would look to a migration agent for the definitive answer but my understanding is if you have been assessed by ACS as a software tester then you cannot apply for state sponsorship as a software engineer - they are different codes. You do have the option of having your skills reassessed as a software engineer (& I know software testers who have had successful outcomes that route (but by applying for that in the first place )

The other alternative is sponsorship - Perth has a desperate shortage of experienced testers and if you would be interested in working here, you are welcome to send me your CV. I am not recruiting personally at the moment but I know people who are that do sponsor. It would probably be a 457 which has its drawbacks but with a skills assessment you could be sponsored for PR straight off.

Thanks a lot for your reply and helping hand.

I would definetely would like to exercise the option of 457. Please PM me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Jules, I too am a Software TEster(QA Manager) and looking for opportunities in Australia. Looking for 189 or 190 or 457. Could you please provide me your email id so that I can send you my CV. Any help appreciated.

Please PM me

cheers

Guest GeorgeD

Folks, just a reminder that as per the Forum Rules, please do not post your email addresses in any theads. There is a Private Message facility which can be used to carry on conversations in private.

• 1 year later...

can you please email me as well...i tried for subclass 190 for Victoria and ACS cleared me and was positively waiting for the invitation from Victoria...but after a anxious wait of 4 months and clearing ACS an year back...they replied saying..."sorry ..could not accept". My wife is heart broken now.

So, if any type of help as to what i should do now and if possible if anyone can provide me some contacts who are looking for software testers, then it will give me and wife a life time opportunity to live in country of STEVE IRWIN ....the person whom i admire and taught me so many things.....

Pleas help me.

Regards,

Anil

I guess the general problem with software tester vs engineer, in my experience, is that one does not equal the other in development aptitude. This will be why they have different codes and presumably have different 'duties' the ACS outline in their documentation.

In short, I'd say no. Unless you get reassessed and can meet the requirements for the other skill code.

• 4 months later...

Archived