Chatswood v Balmain for rental?

Jamie S

Hi all,

touchdown in Sydney next week and keen to get rental accom sorted ASAP.we've done loads of research online to try and make the exercise less daunting when we arrive. Wife has a job arranged in Blacktown and I expect to work in CBD. We like the sound of both Balmain (some friends have recommended) and also Chatswood (seems a little bigger & busier?) and are prepared for one of us to have a decent commute.

Balmain seems a little closer to Blacktown and Chatswood seems to have good public transport network which could be a factor as ideally we want to manage with one car.

Any experiences or insight on living in both suburbs welcome!

cheers

jamie

Hi all,

touchdown in Sydney next week and keen to get rental accom sorted ASAP.we've done loads of research online to try and make the exercise less daunting when we arrive. Wife has a job arranged in Blacktown and I expect to work in CBD. We like the sound of both Balmain (some friends have recommended) and also Chatswood (seems a little bigger & busier?) and are prepared for one of us to have a decent commute.

Balmain seems a little closer to Blacktown and Chatswood seems to have good public transport network which could be a factor as ideally we want to manage with one car.

cheers

jamie

There are loads more suburbs you can check out than just these two

Most places in the Inner West will give you an easy commute to both Blacktown and the CBD, and decent urban life

I wouldn't bother with Chatswood....it's soulless and expensive, a commercial centre really. Think Hammersmith with slightly less dirt and grit.....but also less charm (I work there most of the time btw, wouldn't live there in a million years)

Balmain is great but hard for public transport to Blacktown - would mean ferry to city then train or bus then train. Chatswood is souless although has good shopping centre and a rail station. Got a feeling train fron North Shore goes out to Blacktown. How far from Blacktown station to het work? Can she walk or is it too far?

Strathfield might suit you both as it is a major station. 15 min to City and prob 45 mins to Blacktown on regular train BUT Blue Mts train also stops at both Strathfield & Blacktown & prob does it in 25 mins.

Do not turn yr nose up at the idea of living out West by the way! Parramatta even more central toboth City and Blacktown. Or Penrith.

Or my suburb Surry Hills very close to CBD & 40 MIn to Blacktown from Central on BM train & has same vibe as Balmain.

What about Cammeray or Crows Nest? Both are really nice suburbs, lots of non-chain shops, bars and restaurants, good mix of architecture. Crows Nest is 5-10min walk to North Sydney CBD and train station or 5 min walk to pacific highway for buses, Cammeray is the last stop on the express bus before it heads into the city. We have just signed a rental at St Leonards on the edge of Crows Nest and it's a nice spot. Agree on avoiding Chatswood - it's soulless

I should add, as this thread has raised its head again, that the critical factors for most are:

a) Commute or likely commute - you've addressed this

b) Budget

c) Family status

I'm guessing you are a couple, no kids since you don't mention schools/family areas. In which case my recommendation is definitely to go central. No further out than Cammeray/Crow's Nest/Neutral Bay on the north shore, and to the city side of the new light rail link in the Inner West. Don't discount Eastern suburbs either, especially if you like beaches, but do your research on getting from there to Central station (and thence to Blacktown)

Sydney is not like British cities, the suburbs sprawl for miles and have not grown up from villages/small towns which got subsumed, so many of the outer burbs are very much lacking in city character and "life". That's fine for us with kiddies, we have enough life at home and don't have the time/energy to want to be out on the pop 4 nights a week, but I wouldn't want to live in them as a single or dinkies.

Loads and loads of good places to live if you're not family'd up. Go for location over space in this city every time and make the most of the outdoor facilities and life

I love Balmain and its cafe, restaurant, pub lifestyle but I also don't touch jobs unless they are in the CBD or North Sydney due to the transport links. If you fancy the Inner West then Newtown, Camperdown, Marrickville areas may be worth considering for their train links.

Also agree with what others have said about Chatswood, always only seems like shopping centre to me.

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

cheers

jamie

You will notice that renting n Australia is different - I suggest you check out http://www.norwest.org.au for some free tenancy advice before, during and at the end of your tenancy to ensure your rights are as a tenant in NSW are being upheld - it is a Free community service funded by rental bonds and the real estate institute with the NSW office of Fair Trading administrating the Tenancy Advice and Advocacy Program in NSW.

For ease of transport I would recommend Strathfield as it is a major station with both plenty of trains to CBD & to Blacktown. Actually, if you want the same vibe as Balmain then look at Surry Hills & yr wife can get Blue Mts train to Blacktown in 30 min or so (Longer on Penrith or Richmond train.)

Balmain is great for CBD commute by bus or ferry but has no rail station & wd be hassle getting to Blacktown. I have changed my mind about Chatswood having seen the new cultural/arts centre but although good for CBD means long trip to Blacktown.

Commuting in rush hour can be awful so try to minimise it for both of you.

Archived