190 State sponsored Visa question regarding marriage

Emma_C

Hi there good people of the Poms in Oz forum

I have a tricky question that I hope someone on here can answer for me. I have just received an offer of state sponsorship from Western Australia and my skills select application is going to be updated shortly to show that I have offer of state sponsorship. I have been told that I will hear from the Dept of Immigration in due course. My question is about my personal situation. I am currently in a relationship and we are thinking about getting married in the next year. We have been together for 6 years but are not currently living together (so defacto is out of the question). How will this affect my visa? Obviously my partner and I want to go together on the same visa. Will I have to be married when I apply or can I apply then marry during the process and update my visa at the time of this - as long as this is before the visa has been granted?

Thanks in advance

Emma

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/including-family-members/

You will need to show that you are in a genuine and continuing relationship 12 months before you make the application if you are going to include your partner. The usually expect that you are living together for the 12 months to prove defacto unless there are compelling circumstances why you are living apart.

From what you have posted, it may be difficult to prove defacto as you are not living together. If you marry after the application is lodged but before the visa is granted, you may still be required to provide further evidence of your relationship.

If you can not prove defacto for the current visa application, after your visa is granted and you are married you can then sponsor your partner for a Partner Visa.

It may be best to run your case past a registered migration agent.