Shipping a motorcyle to QLD

Simonrbh

I'm investigating whether it's worth shipping my Triumph Tiger motorcycle out to Brisbane when we emigrate, bikes seem expensive over in Oz! I know I've got to have owned the bike for 12 months prior to shipment but I'm totally unaware of how to go about it and just how much it will be to get it insured, shipped and back on the road in QLD. Anyone got prices and details of UK companies that deal with this? I've heard Oz customs ans quarantine regs are really strict! I've seen various postings on web sites saying forget it, it's too much hassle and money.

If its newish it could be worthwhile but best to check the value of it over here then add up all the duty you will pay then the costs of modifications and registering it to be on the road.

Bikes are expensive here but the duty you may pay may be close to what you would pay for one here (cost plus shipping plus taxes plus hassle).

With vehicles though over here, they just dont depreciate so if you shell out for one here you could probably use it 2 years then sell it for the same value. Its total madness but thats the way it is.

Guest chris955

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/

It is much much easier than with a car and because of the difference in value there I would say worthwhile, I am a Triumph man through and through so applaud your choice :) There should be minimal mods needed to get it registered, I think rego is around $500 a year, that includes 3rd party but only injury, it is amazing how many people in Australia think it gives them property cover. You dont need extra cover, crazy I know, and the cost will obviously depend on all the same things as here.

Just make sure it is VERY clean when shipped. Are you taking a container of personal effects ? The bike can just be put in the container.

Thanks for the replies. The bike is 2010 and I reckon it's worth about £7K to buy in the UK. It's got just about every extra you could wish for and it's one of those bikes that you only come across once every blue moon, with xenon headlights, gel seat, full luggage, heated grips, spotlights, etc ....it's even got Garmin Sat Nav! To buy new here would be over £13500 with everything it has on it. I have checked with Triumph UK and the instrument display is switchable by pressing a combination of buttons so I can easily get it set to Kph. We've not got as far as looking at quotes for containers as my visa isn't likely to be granted until Oct'13 and we haven't got a clue whether all our stuff (3 bedroom house) will fit in a 20ft or 40ft container. My mate was over from Wa at Christmas and he advised taking as much as you can due to high costs in Oz, where as when he went 11 years a go they left/sold quite a bit! I'm not too sure whether there would be space for a crated bike too, I think it would definitely have to be a 40ft container if that was the case but then I've not got a clue......you can most probably tell that! Going over to QLD several years back I couldn't believe how much my g/f's nephew had paid for a 15yr old Mitsibushi Lancer...it was 3 times what you'd pay in the UK!

If you can pack it as part of your personal effects, then yes it's worth doing - if sending it separately, it rarely makes financial sense (but having said that we still do a number of bikes - for most owners, the decision isn't based solely on finance ;) )

Archived